Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear boot lid wiring loom issues  (Read 3486 times)

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Club night in Bristol - Drama
    • Email
Rear boot lid wiring loom issues
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:16:24 pm »
Hi Guys

I was wondering if you could help me?

My Golf GT TDI has developed the common problem where the loom going to the rear boot lid has split. I was getting intermittent problems with the boot not opening, light warning issues and the rear wiper stopped working.

Searching the net and this forum I found out that the loom going to the lid can be compromised after years of opening and closing the rear boot lid (which is stupid really and surely poor manufacturing on VW's part)

Anyway I was able to take off all the rear boot lid plastic and unclip some of the wires so that i could feed enough through to move the rubber boot out of the way to see what was going on. It was a mess 5 wires had completely snapped. 4 white wires and 1 brown wire.

I was able to connect re solder and shrink tube the brown and one of the white wires as they were easy to identify. This then made all of the lights work and the boot open and close correctly. But I was left with 3 white wires which look to be for the rear wiper.

As there were no markings I marked them with some marker pens, Green, Blue and Black

I then came up with the following combinations:

Green - Green
Blue - Blue
Black - Black

Green - Green
Blue - Black
Black - Blue

Blue - Blue
Green - Black
Black - Green

Black - Black
Green - Blue
Blue - Green

Green - Black
Blue - Green
Black - Blue

Green - Blue
Blue - Black
Black - Green

The only combination that kind of worked was:

Blue - Blue
Green - Black
Black  - Green

The rear wiper would work but only if I pushed the wiper stalk all the way forward so that the washer came on. If I let go of the wiper stalk the rear wiper would stop in its place.
I can hear the relay clicking so I think that is working correctly.

I've run out of ideas now and was wondering is there a combination I've missed or if there is something else i need to look at?

Hope you can help guys

Smokey

2004 GT TDI 2.0 (140bhp) - Mods so far - GTI pedals, GTI Interior Metal Strips, GTI Metal Ashtray, Gear Knob with metal surround, TPMS (with switch), RNS-510, Skoda bluetooth kit, Armrest MDI, VCDS owner (Bristol)

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Club night in Bristol - Drama
    • Email
Re: Rear boot lid wiring loom issues
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:11:23 am »
Bump
Can anyone help on this one?

2004 GT TDI 2.0 (140bhp) - Mods so far - GTI pedals, GTI Interior Metal Strips, GTI Metal Ashtray, Gear Knob with metal surround, TPMS (with switch), RNS-510, Skoda bluetooth kit, Armrest MDI, VCDS owner (Bristol)

Offline charlieb76

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 04:39:40 pm »
Hi sorry can't help but wondering if someone can help me please.
I've fixed a couple of broken wires in mine and everything seems to be working fine. Problem is I broke one of the clips in the rubber housing for the wires (bit that joins to the car body) can I get a replacement for this? Part number anyone?
I'm assuming without a proper seal water will get in and cause more damage!

Thanks in advance! :happy2:

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:10:04 pm »
Hi sorry can't help but wondering if someone can help me please.
I've fixed a couple of broken wires in mine and everything seems to be working fine. Problem is I broke one of the clips in the rubber housing for the wires (bit that joins to the car body) can I get a replacement for this? Part number anyone?
I'm assuming without a proper seal water will get in and cause more damage!

Thanks in advance! :happy2:

Look at this it shows the bellows item 7 (it's chassis number dependant).

http://www.partscats.info/volkswagen/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=vw&number=1714&set=1728&ein=2007&f=474&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=9&grf=097282420&bf=97282&hgug=971&ug=71&parent_id=2367955

Offline GT170

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
  • Petrol Head
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:40:45 pm »
So what is the common preventative mod? Or just take apart and colour code each white wire before they break?
Now have my third Golf
1st  in 1994 - 1983 GTI Mark 1
2nd in 2002  - 2002 GTI 2.0 Mark 4
3rd in 2014   - 2007 GT TSI 170