Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear wiper woes  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
Rear wiper woes
« on: December 13, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »
Hello

The rear wiper motor on our 55 plate GTi has stopped working.

I can get the wash water to spray, and I hear a relay click in the dash when I push the stalk backwards but no wiping. This is with the boot closed.

I've checked all fuses in the drivers side compartment as there are no drawings apparently for the fuse layouts and all are ok.

What next?

Are there any relays I need to check?  Checking the power will be hard on my own..... I'll have to climb in the boot shut the tail gate, climb forward push the wiper stalk etc etc!

I can also take a look at the wiring in the rubber sheath between tail gate and rear of the car/hinge to see if it's damaged?

The super annoying thing is I also bought a new wiper motor in preparation. I plugged it in to the cables to try it (boot shut) and no dice, just washer jet working!

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Adam

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Rear wiper woes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:17:19 pm »
For those in a similar position, I found the relay info, which from looking at the drawing, has another (or the actual?) fuse located on it.  I'll check this fuse and I'm pretty certain it will be blown!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=tr0495vv08bkedenfflf1jqqn0&topic=87372.msg1194043#msg1194043

Thanks

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 04:23:07 pm »
For my money most problems are found in the hinge wiring which you've got on your to check list. I would start my investigations there if the fuse checks out to be ok!
I have the tail gate wiring diagram if you need it - pm me with your email address and I'll forwardit to you latter in the day

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:58:55 pm »
Final update - I looked in the rubber grommet cover that covers the wiring gap between boot lid and main body of car, and it was all nicely factory wrapped in tape - looked fine.

I continued to investigate the non working issue and then left it for about 4 weeks.

I came back and re-checked the wiring after the nice OEM wrapping and Voila!  One broken wire, 3 wires showing copper cores!!!!  Very disappointed with VW for failing to design this issue out, particularly after making hatch backs for nearly 40 years now.

Bodged the wiring back together with a chocolate box - also broke the body fixing grommet which is a plastic clip/release catch and not just a rubber bung type like the top connection - so be warned.  I'm probably leaking water into the car now due to failed seal……..

Rear wiper is now working again - but I have a new motor for sale!