Make a donation

Author Topic: Alarm/ lock issue  (Read 991 times)

Offline Paultc90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Alarm/ lock issue
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:26:18 pm »
Had a bit of a nightmare day with my golf. My alarm was constantly going off today, pretty much every 10 mins.

Found that it was saying the rear drivers side door was open, which it wasn't. So obviously a fault with the door. Driving it the interior lights were on and warning tone for an open door.

Took it down to my local Indy garage and they scanned the car. Came back with a fault in the window control and he told me the window motor also controls the lock mechanism in the door module?

While I'm here I should mention I have had trouble with this door as it wasn't locking. Changed over the lock mechanism and still no change.

Anyway he told me chances are the door module needs replaced and it's coming in at about £300!! But I've booked the car in for him to take a look at the wiring and stuff before any parts are ordered.

Also after I got home from the garage I turned off my engine and the headunit wouldn't go off? No ignition on and doors locked and still on. Also my battery was drained. Got it started and took it a drive and this problem went away, just seemed a bit weird. My cars booked it for next week and the alarm hasn't been going off, just concerned waiting that long and risk really annoying my neighbours.

Anyone any input on this and also know if I can pick up a door module cheaper? Seems a bit steep.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Alarm/ lock issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »
To help you,can you explain if that lock unit replaced was a new or used unit as my thoughts are the lock module not motor module is faulty.

Also you didn't leave the indicator stalk down as that puts one light on?

Offline Paultc90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »
It was a new unit fitted. Old one wouldn't lock and the new one fitted does the same. Can hear the new one clicking when opening, just doesn't lock. Also the window doesn't go down. Likely to be connected?

Alarm has been fine since getting home and no indication that the rear door is open. Could this be a wiring issue?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:35:45 pm »
It could well be the Banjo wiring between the door and B pillar.

When you say new lock module is that EBay new or VW new?
The reason for that is I've had a couple of EBay ones I've had to return for the fault your describing!

Offline Paultc90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:54:25 pm »
Ah it was an eBay number I bought! So could still be this unit?

You can hear it clicking, which my old unit never done.

My cars booked in to check the wiring. May mention this to him to have a look at it and send it back if it's faulty.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 06:02:07 pm »
I would suspect the EBay item but the strange thing about the two I've had fail both would work if you had the door open but used a screwdriver to simulate closed on the latch!
Yet in the home closed position properly they wouldn't work correctly,on two different vehicles.
Both vehicles cured with a new lock module. :happy2: