Make a donation

Author Topic: TDI 140 help needed diagnosing a potentially sick turbo  (Read 1261 times)

Offline anduhchunkymonkey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89848.msg908281.html#msg908281
TDI 140 help needed diagnosing a potentially sick turbo
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »
Hello
Yesterday I finally got round to getting my car serviced at 111,000 miles, EGR and cooler removed and new glow plugs (came to £400 so a little short on money atm!) driving it home it felt a lot more responsive but past 3 and a half thousand revs i'd hear a weird rattle. Driving it to work this morning and it went bang!!! All of a sudden all power was lost, turbo wouldn't even try to kick in and it sounded like it had a bad ass exhaust!
Took it back to the garage who had a look at it for me. later on they contacted me telling me that the armature on the actuator for the turbo was seized and the waste-gate had stuck open hence the weird rattle at high revs the night before! at first I was told he'd be able to unseize it but the turbo might not last much longer even though there's no squeals or wines coming from it, then I was told he free'd it and turbo should last!
A couple of guys at work are telling me he was just covering himself as it sounds like he didn't install the turbo pipe back on properly and it popped off under high boost?
Has anyone got any experience of the following and should I be a bit worried?
Car drives a lot better than it has ever done and is a lot more responsive although i'm a bit scared to drive it properly at the moment!
I've also been told that the flywheel might be on it's way out as the car judders a bit when you switch off the ignition?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:46:43 pm by anduhchunkymonkey »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: TDI 140 help needed diagnosing a potentially sick turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:49:03 pm »
sounds to me as if the boost pipe had come of

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »
You normally remove the turbo intake / boost pipe to get better access to the egr cooler.
Fitting it back on securely takes some patience due to its awkward position, so is feasible it popped off.
Bit weird for your actuator to seize.
I'm sure if anything other than the boost hose had gone bang, there would be an expensive repair (for the garage).
Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline anduhchunkymonkey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89848.msg908281.html#msg908281
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:29:15 pm »
As I thought! Cheers guys for the replies and clearing that up!