Make a donation

Author Topic: Rust Update - those who have been successful  (Read 11120 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Rust Update - those who have been successful
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:53:55 pm »
Right, just an update on mine. Strange one.

- They have agreed to replace and paint front wings and paint lower sills
- They want £130 to blend otherwise its just the items listed above - should they not blend as standard?

- Big one - tailgate. In and around the badge has major bubbling/rust. I have spoken with VW UK and they are saying this is a paint issue (under there 3 years policy) and not under the full rust warranty. How can this be? any tips on fighting this?

Rust is rust! If they are doing the wings and sills...how can they reject the tailgate?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Rust Update - those who have been successful
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:31 pm »
just be glad what you got out of them, yours is one of the first mk5s and i suspect an import too
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:13:06 pm »
No do not get me wrong, happy. But the boot lid is in a bad way.... rusted. Surely this is covered?

Import?? Ordered and purchased in the UK mate I have the original receipt
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:16 am »
Is it just the badge itself, like the actual mechanism or is the tailgate metal itself rusting?

All of the early mk5 models with the slow close mechanism had this rust problem. It's the same whiteworm that attacks your diamond cut alloys.

If VW agree to do the badge then they should agree to do the alloys and before you know it they're down £1,000 and they can't operate a business!!

Buy a mk6 badge and retrofit it, looks nice and is easy to do!

Offline missymckay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:27:16 pm »
Right, just an update on mine. Strange one.

- They have agreed to replace and paint front wings and paint lower sills
- They want £130 to blend otherwise its just the items listed above - should they not blend as standard?

- Big one - tailgate. In and around the badge has major bubbling/rust. I have spoken with VW UK and they are saying this is a paint issue (under there 3 years policy) and not under the full rust warranty. How can this be? any tips on fighting this?

Rust is rust! If they are doing the wings and sills...how can they reject the tailgate?

I had my front wings done before christmas at no cost. They didn't mention blending to me at all. Mine looks ok apart from the front wings being a bit shinier lol.

I also had rust on the tailgate under the light fitting. VW offered me a 50% goodwill gesture as they said it was not covered under the corrosion warranty as there was no perforation. I had the work done and have written to the head office this week to ask for further information on why it was not covered and to ask for my money back or a free service. I am waiting to see what they come back with.
AmD stage 1

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:36:17 pm »
No do not get me wrong, happy. But the boot lid is in a bad way.... rusted. Surely this is covered?

Import?? Ordered and purchased in the UK mate I have the original receipt

I had the paintwork rust under the boot badge repaired for free. Was only offered 50% at first, but after a letter to the MD of VW they changed their minds  :happy2:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 08:04:27 pm »
I've had both wings replaced and painted for free. They wouldn't do the sill though  :sad1:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline gav69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »
I managed to get new wings, sills, bubbling at rear quarters, tailgate & replacement Gti badge out them  :smiley: My tailgate was also quite bad with bubbling and over a period of about 8/9 months got drastically worse so id keep on at them.They gave me the option to pay for blending of doors which I did. Cost about £134 to blend. Thought I did ok considering the hassle some people have had.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:19:49 pm »
The rear badge has slight white worm, but the tailgate (around the badge) is really really bad. The rust is so bad the water is now leaking through.

Listers said they could not action this under warranty - I believe they are saying this because of the cost impact. They are unable to repair the tailgate and advised it would need a replacement. The total cost - replace, refit and paint the tailgate is £1900  :sad1: with a £300 extra just incase they are unable to remove the rear glass.

I know there is a slight defect on the wings but rush is rust, surely? the wings have bubbled and rusted the tailgate has done the same, but worse.

Had a brief call from them, currently they are saying the reason the tailgate is not really covered is becuase this is a PAINT issue (covered for 3 years only) and not a rust issue. Seem complete bull if you ask me

Offline gav69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:06:51 pm »
I think you are correct they are throwing you alot of bull. Take it do a different VW garage and dont mention anything you were told previously. When the guy was inspecting my wings he was gonna try pulling sumthn similar saying they might not replace wings because his gadget for checking paint thickness was showing that wheel arches had been repaired in the past. Previous owner might have done so. Anyways the only reason they did do them was because they were the original wings. Hope you get it all sorted sounds bad.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »
Third phone call from VW UK today

The matter is being looked in to, they are CLAIMING the rust of the tailgate is a paint issue, which is not covered under warranty. Paint is only covered for three years. They advised me they will need to get an engineers report, to advise HOW has the paint caused the tailgate to rush and how its a different type of rust to the wings lol

Am I missing something? water + penetration = rust

How is can it be different. I await a call back Tuesday with the results

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:54:14 pm »
no UK car had the option of Auxiliary heater
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 08:01:41 pm »
It is a strange feature, but awesome now the cold has set in  :smiley: so nice to get in to a pre-heated car.

Can confirm car is UK, the original owner requested this to be installed when ordered - cost him ££££

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 08:34:47 pm »
my boot lid was done under warranty by VW Chelmsford
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 07:49:35 pm »
Thank you for the update Jedi - did they agree to do it? or did you have to get approval from VW UK?