Make a donation

Author Topic: My BSH Catch Can experience.  (Read 15049 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: My BSH Catch Can experience.
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 10:50:08 pm »
Thank you for your response Ben much appreciated.
Given your circumstances I am fully understanding why things happened as they did and I apologise if I have come across as ignorant and not sympathetic.

I will take you up on the 3 replacement plastic fittings and hopefully these events can be put behind us.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »
^^^^
:grouphug:  :congrats:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 11:42:34 pm »

Maybe it is just me then. The fact that I can't find a decent place to fit it due to my other mods means it would be a pain to empty. :sad1:

....Let me see if I can help : -

I'm assuming that you are not wanting to fit it adjacent to the bottles and charcoal cannister. So that then depends on which aftermarket air intake you want to run.

If oem there are several places where the tank can be fixed - Using the two holes on the slam panel to fit it in front of the fuses box. As an island in front of the battery (as I think stokeballoon posted pics of). Or if you have an intake such as a Forge Twintake which fills the area, then much further towards the front (see my pic with it not connected and intake temporarily removed). The ITG intake gives much more of a problem unless you fit it on the driver's side (UK) by the bottles.

Wherever you fit the BSH, the easiest way to empty is to loosen off the P-ring and waggle the cylinder upwards to better access the tap.

Obviously you don't want to be fitting it above the fans or similar spots to risk potential problems.

HTH  :happy2:

Thanks for that Robin :smiley:

However, in the area you have shown I have the EVOM's intake dry filter, so I don't want any possibility of oil/water contamination in that area. Also I have aftermarket headlights, which ingress into the same area, plus extra wiring for power for the sound system and the aforementioned headlights. So it is a wee bit tight in there.
I didn't fancy the other side either as the other headlight housing takes up extra space, the charcoal cannister takes up the prime spot and next to that is directly above the belts, so I guess I'm out of luck at present.

I do have a cunning plan, but we'll have to see as it means replacing existing parts :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:44 pm »
^^^^

No room here then either, John? : -

I'm guessing that your cunning plan may involve a migrating battery  :wink:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:52:45 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 11:55:54 pm »
You may well be right :notworthy:
Golf R gone.

Offline Igor

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 11:57:17 pm »
My plastic connectors have also collapsed, but I've reshaped them, up to a point, but there's still a whiff of oil, and I'm not sure whether they're not leaking a little, if BSH have made steel or alloy replacements, is it possible to replace/exchange them them??

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 01:09:45 am »

Thank you Ben.

Hope all is well now with your family.

:happy2:

Hope you also manage to help Ian out too!

.... x 2  :smiley:

I'll be wanting some of your HEL ss braided hoses in due course, Ben, and possibly/probably the bigger BSH 'Competition' can

Likewise here - preferably before I fit the kit - thread subscribed to !

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 08:03:57 am »
i removed my catch can after a week as there was a cluncking noise which turned out to be the check valve in the crankcase breather, from what i can gather the bsh system doesnt need the check valve so it just rattles around. but somehow it broke mine with all the rattling! ( apparently some people knock the check valve out with a screw driver when they run the kit to get rid of the clunking sound) then when i converted back to standard the checkvalve was broke and it blew some serious oil out of the filler cap! also when i removed the kit i found the plasic elbows were really garled up with oil mayo stuff the diameter was about 6mm! this was after a week so i wasnt willing to find out what it was going to be like after any longer.

i have now had the new crankcase breather and new revision L rocker cover pcv fitted and it is perfect holds the remap boost with no sign of oil round the cap or dipstick etc
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 09:18:34 am »

i removed my catch can after a week as there was a cluncking noise which turned out to be the check valve in the crankcase breather, from what i can gather the bsh system doesnt need the check valve so it just rattles around. but somehow it broke mine with all the rattling! ( apparently some people knock the check valve out with a screw driver when they run the kit to get rid of the clunking sound) then when i converted back to standard the checkvalve was broke and it blew some serious oil out of the filler cap! also when i removed the kit i found the plasic elbows were really garled up with oil mayo stuff the diameter was about 6mm! this was after a week so i wasnt willing to find out what it was going to be like after any longer.

i have now had the new crankcase breather and new revision L rocker cover pcv fitted and it is perfect holds the remap boost with no sign of oil round the cap or dipstick etc

....^ This information worries me  :sad1: - I'll be adding this subject as something to check on my list of To-Do's at VWR on my next visit.

Tut-tut, BSH, it seems from these reports that you may need to revise your product.

Offline edition_30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 09:54:16 am »

Have you got a part number for the new breather mate?

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:42 am »
06F129101L i think it is £28 but i got one fitted under warrantee  :happy2:
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2009, 12:33:21 pm »

....^ This information worries me  :sad1: - I'll be adding this subject as something to check on my list of To-Do's at VWR on my next visit.

Tut-tut, BSH, it seems from these reports that you may need to revise your product.

Having read your previous thread, i am not sure we should all jump to the conclusion that is a poor design.  Would be good to give BSH a chance (Robin), rather than hanging them on the site.  Lets get some subjective evidence.

I have had no problems since I fitted my can, my unions are ok, and it is working as advertised.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8198.0

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2009, 12:39:19 pm »
I think the collapsing of the plastic elbows is due to overtightening. The clamps that are supplied are very small, when jubilee clips that small are used they do not exert an even pressure around the circumference because of the design, so if they are overtightened, not by much, they will distort what they are clamping. I don't like to use clamps this small for this reason and I think using the VW 1's like Steve and Robin will stop this happening. As for the white emulsion in the pipes, you will get this whatever system you are using std or otherwise as its a mixture of water and oil which is what the breather sytem carries. All my opnion of course :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:47:03 pm by gazbutS3 »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 12:50:00 pm »
bang on there gaz IMO.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 01:06:56 pm »
i removed my catch can after a week as there was a cluncking noise which turned out to be the check valve in the crankcase breather, from what i can gather the bsh system doesnt need the check valve so it just rattles around.
This is normal if you are using the BSH PCV fix as the fix completely removes the check valvle from the equation.  Whether it rattles around or not could depend on if the valve was open or closed when you installed the cattch can, iirc if the valve was open then you will get this rattling noise.

but somehow it broke mine with all the rattling! ( apparently some people knock the check valve out with a screw driver when they run the kit to get rid of the clunking sound)
Yes that is correct as the check valve is no longer needed. 

then when i converted back to standard the checkvalve was broke and it blew some serious oil out of the filler cap!
The check valve is actually a weak point of the standard PCV system and is prone to failure on both standard and remapped cars.  This is one of the reason BSH chose to bypass it in their PCV fix.  I wonder if your check valve may have already been on its way out.  Had you noticed if your car was experiencing any troubles holding boost and/or was a erratic at idle?

also when i removed the kit i found the plasic elbows were really garled up with oil mayo stuff the diameter was about 6mm! this was after a week so i wasnt willing to find out what it was going to be like after any longer.
I think you probably over tightened them.

Good  :happy2: