Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil Choice?  (Read 15095 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Oil Choice?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »
It's hard to say.
There are limited tests available apart from the test where they load weights up on a bearing in a pool of the certain oil.

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/08/28/millers-nanodrive-test/

As far as i'm concerned it makes the engine quieter and a notable drop in oil temperatures.. i'm happy with it.   :drinking:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 05:50:29 pm »
oh, no-one on here has a bad word for the stuff....till now...
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2015, 06:39:08 pm »
I still stand by what i said earlier that for everday road use any branded fully synthetic 5w30 , 504-507 is going to be more than upto the job

Total Quartz 5l - £22 seems fine for me plus change it twice a year without crying at that price  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 10:23:46 am »
Everyone is entitled to share their feedback,  :innocent:

Just don't think that changing to a "Better" oil would cause a tapping noise...more than likely something else coincidently broke at the same time !  :popcornsoda:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2015, 01:21:46 pm »
The millers stuff is supposed to "coat" the metal parts to make them more slippery, reducing friction (=more power hmm) and thereby wear, so I guess this could make things sound different in the engine, similar maybe to using a thinner oil....

Saintsteve

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2015, 08:26:25 pm »
The millers stuff is supposed to "coat" the metal parts to make them more slippery, reducing friction (=more power hmm) and thereby wear, so I guess this could make things sound different in the engine, similar maybe to using a thinner oil....

Total bollocks... Sorry this Nano's oil doesn't give you additional Horsepower..

Generally engines will run smoother and quieter and more efficiently after an oil change..

Stick with What VW recommend .
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:31:49 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2015, 08:48:58 pm »
The millers stuff is supposed to "coat" the metal parts to make them more slippery, reducing friction
But this is what every oil does.
'07 Red manual

Offline DomBacon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2015, 09:28:26 pm »
There are different types of millers nanodrive oil though
I've got some ready to go in but waiting to sort a few other bits out first

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 10:53:19 am »
There's a lot of hype and marketing spin around. I'd be surprised if there's much difference between "quality" oils that meet VW spec and have same viscosity. Changing oil regularly is more important than the brand. Price differences reflect different amounts of money companies spend on promoting and advertising. I want to put good oil that meets VW spec in my car but personally  I wouldn't spend 70 quid for 5 litres.

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2015, 01:01:13 pm »
more reading here
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=427522&page=3
says it uses some noble chemistry prized molecule C60 :popcornsoda:.........

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:54 pm »

Total bollocks... Sorry this Nano's oil doesn't give you additional Horsepower..

Generally engines will run smoother and quieter and more efficiently after an oil change..

If Nano technology found in the Millers does reduce engine friction ??? it will increase power at the flywheel.  Basic automotive principles

BMEP = IMEP - PMEP - FMEP

Rather than explain have a read here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_effective_pressure

It might not feel like anything, who knows ?.  A 750KW dyno 'may' not have the resolution to measure such small changes but there will be an increase in power under the same conditions by reducing friction.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:10:29 pm by bigmig95 »

Saintsteve

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »

If Nano technology found in the Millers does reduce engine friction ??? it will increase power at the flywheel.  Basic automotive principles

It might not feel like anything, who knows ?.  A 750KW dyno 'may' not have the resolution to measure such small changes but there will be an increase in power under the same conditions by reducing friction.

Any fresh oil change has an effect on engine performance... But if you want to join the Nano drive band wagon then carry on... Total hype and in the real world makes No difference to any Oil that VW specify.

Regular oil changes are the way to go, every 5000 miles using VW specified oils only.
Sounds abit like the Catch Can hype when that came out and does bugger all in the real world  :signLOL:
How long does this Nano oil last I wonder?...is it still power prolific once it gets abit dirty :popcornsoda:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:32:42 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2015, 05:05:58 pm »

Any fresh oil change has an effect on engine performance... But if you want to join the Nano drive band wagon then carry on... Total hype and in the real world makes No difference to any Oil that VW specify.

Regular oil changes are the way to go, every 5000 miles using VW specified oils only.
Sounds abit like the Catch Can hype when that came out and does bugger all in the real world  :signLOL:
How long does this Nano oil last I wonder?...is it still power prolific once it gets abit dirty :popcornsoda:

Not joining any hype  :grin:, just giving some background on the fact that if friction is reduced power out goes up.   :happy2:

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:26 pm »
And the lad only wanted to know what oil type hahahaha epic read guys.  :fighting2:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2015, 05:25:10 pm »
@Saintsteve have you read the fastrack report linked by xjay in #45?
they replaced clean Halfords with millers stuff...
don't get me wrong, I'm staying with shell helix AV-l no mater what, too scared of me DPF  :scared: