Make a donation

Author Topic: Oem + steely  (Read 17831 times)

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Oem + steely
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:18:07 pm »
Following on from my new members intro.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93187.0.html

Soooo this will hopefully become my new build thread to chart the ups and downs of my oem + gti.

As the title may suggest I'm planning on squandering my daughters uni fund to shamelessly modify the gti. Hopefully when she is older I can show her this thread to appease her.

So I went from this;

2.5 turbo diesel ford ranger. Great off road, but cut the air like a wardrobe and handled like a dog on roller skates. It was good losing the back end so predictable.

To this;

2006 steel grey gti. Forgive the filth on it I was busy attending to my newborn daughter. I was looking for a very long time for the right car, steel grey was the colour I always wanted but couldn't get one in the correct spec versus price, eventually I compromised the spec slightly, which is effectively;

Leather heated seats and cruise control  :signLOL: oh and iPod Dock.

I have many plans for the car and intend to use this thread to bounce ideas off you all, I appreciate all of you opinions both negative and positive. I'm a stickler for keeping everything as oem as possible so it probably won't be the most exciting car on here.

I had and now have a larger list with thanks to this forum. Subjectively the following;

Audio upgrade.
Mfsw.
Alloys, not sure about the black. Might get these refurbed and diamond cut (I have a plan to stave off white worm).
Paintwork, machine polished.
I quite fancy new brakes  :wink:
Stance, not sure about this quite like it as it is.

I'm sure this will be edited and grow even more.

Few small areas I have attended to recently;

New polo aerial;

Made of cheese me thinks.  :laugh:

And fitted;

Looks a lot better.

My tips needed urgent attention. I would say they have never been cleaned the soot deposits were so thick. Talking of exhausts that reminds me I'd like a new one (power valve) or (miltek).

Anyway back on track filthy, filthy, dirty tips with some weaponry.

Halfway through;

And hey presto 4 hours later of cursing and with fingers worn to the nub, wishing I had never started.  :signLOL:

Much better.

As the previous owner had decided to remove the rear gti badge and replace with a red I was going to replace it. However I quite liked the contrast against the grey so decided to replace the grill badge. 

Unfortunately the replacement was the crappiest, shoddiest pile of excrement ever to grace the annals of ebay. Badge placement was wonky and lettering not oem sizing. The fixing also left a lot to be desired.

A piece of turd masquerading as a gti badge.

Yeh straight in bin.  :signLOL:

That's it for now, thanks for reading if anyone has. Comments welcome cheers guys and gals.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:39:19 pm by Washout »

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92146.0.html
Re: Anabels oem + uni fund
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:04:33 pm »
I had a good chuckle reading your comments..  :grin: Nice ride, looking forward to all the upgrades!

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:35 pm »
Cheers matey glad u enjoyed it.  :happy2:

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:41:49 pm »
So a small update and further emptying of the wallet.  :signLOL: I'm trying to establish a good baseline for the car before I start spending on the interesting/exciting bits.

This was irritating me;  :sick:

Small stone chip level with the steering wheel. So rang the insurance and paid the excess for a new one.  :sad1:

Halfway through. Weird seeing it like this.

And now mmmmmmmnnnn windscreen fresh.  :happy2:

The chap from auto glass was brill. Friendly and quick.

I picked up this from demon tweeks the other week when buying my lambs wool wash mit, just something I like to do with my vehicles makes me feel better anyway.

Lazily I never fitted it.

Further to me establishing a good baseline gti I did a bit of research and decided I would run her over to votex in congleton for a 60000 mile service. The guys there are fantastic I couldn't recommend them enough, got them to pop in the filter as well.

I'd like to say a big thankyou because they were really helpful and sorted me a courtesy car as well. It was however a dsg I'm Soooo happy I bought a manual gti, I think I would have cried a little inside every time I used a gti with dsg  :sad1: . Don't get me wrong it's so smooth and rapid but somehow removed from the whole experience.

Anyway I have a nice little list to work away at as the votex guys found a few issues.

Cv boot on its way
Rear tyres wearing on inner edge (can anyone shed light on this)
Brakes worn to 60% (recommendations for upgraded disc and pad set up)
Console bushes slightly worn (again recommendations for upgrading)

Plans for the next few weeks will be to order a new diverter valve and pcv valve and fit, and run over to pro spray in Warrington to get some prices for paintwork (obvious sorry  :signLOL: )

Thanks for reading

Offline lewisako

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • Stay Humble
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93348.msg935576.html#msg935576
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:58:23 pm »
Lovely look motor dude, where did u get the ariel from??

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 06:12:54 pm »
Cheers dude, ebay matey. I believe it's off the new polo 11 pounds delivered.

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 06:24:35 pm »
Did you get the rain sensor replaced correctly with your new screen? If not, your auto wipers won't work on intermittent anymore. A new sensor is only a few quid from the dealer. :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:36 pm »
The chap from auto glass had a new one with him and fitted it with the screen.  :happy2: When I rang them up I made sure they were replacing everything and that they new it had auto wipers.

Offline Lyall

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 06:56:27 pm »
Exhaust looks good ! Any closer pics to see the finish as im thinking about doing mine as its in a bad bad way !

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:04:33 pm »
Hey matey, this is the closest pic I have in photobucket. The main body of the exhaust I used wire wool and the finish is bang on. Around the base of the tips the soot/carbon deposits were really thick. I went careful and used jewellers paper to agitate back down to the chrome followed by wire wool and auto sol. Hope this helps.  :happy2:

Offline lewisako

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • Stay Humble
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93348.msg935576.html#msg935576

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 08:47:06 pm »
My old car, it was lovely but looks like you're getting it even better.

Glad to see it's in good hands!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 09:03:38 pm »
Cheers matey. It's not going to take much to get it awesome just a few niggling things, chips etc  :happy2:. I really love the car so going to look after her. Where about in north west are you matey.

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 06:38:54 am »
Cheers matey. It's not going to take much to get it awesome just a few niggling things, chips etc  :happy2:. I really love the car so going to look after her. Where about in north west are you matey.

Only in Liverpool dude. Give me a shout if you ever need any VCDS work. :)
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.