Make a donation

Author Topic: Oem + steely  (Read 17829 times)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Oem + steely
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 10:26:39 am »
Good write up mate and excellent progress with the car :happy2:

Where did you get the splitter from? Might help out a lot of fellas on here as it's quite in demand. I waited ages for an Oem one and ended up getting one off eBay as my patience grew thin trying to source a genuine one

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 10:04:40 pm »
Good write up mate and excellent progress with the car :happy2:

Where did you get the splitter from? Might help out a lot of fellas on here as it's quite in demand. I waited ages for an Oem one and ended up getting one off eBay as my patience grew thin trying to source a genuine one

Cheers matey. I have been following various threads on the ed30 splitter and like you was interested in the eBay ones, but the fit just seemed so hit and miss even from the same companies. I wasn't happy taking that gamble.

I considered a salvaged one but I think the effort to get them up to spec I.e paint, plastic welding etc vs the price just make them a poor buy. So Oem only way to go for me. I did however have to remortgage my house and take this in a large sack to Mr awesome gti.

I look at it this way though if you ever return to standard you would probably only lose the amount you spent on a non Oem splitter.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 09:56:25 pm »
A little light reading in between reading about and planning modifications, missus bought me this for my birthday.

Things have been fairly busy recently with just life in general so I haven't been able to spend as much time on the car as I'd like, seems like in the summer the kids have a different event on every night ahhhhhhh don't think I could take another pantomime in 30 degree heat, or a sports day in the full glare of mid afternoon sun.  :signLOL:

The standard yellow I think h7 bulbs had been bugging me for a while, not in terms of there output just how lame they looked on the front of the car.

A quick visit to power bulbs and a shifty for online discount codes I found these;

They also came with matching sidelight bulbs so bonus, I was a bit dubious however as these where blue glass and I thought they would stand out on the car to much.

Vast improvement and I'm impressed with the sidelight bulbs, I will replace the rest of the bulbs with these so all matching.

Soo the above pic shows the rear of my car and the complete lack of a third brake light, it has been like this since I bought it. I was promised by the dealer a new painted spoiler, as I  had pointed this out in the forecourt and having done my research knew that the only way to properly repair this was a new one. Well it never materialised and I got sick of waiting. Quick trip to tps in between pantomimes.

I decided I was going to go steady and quite cleaverly drill the lens and use the holes to pop it off so as not to damage the paint around the lens, yeah! that didn't work really. It turns out the plastic lens in the third break light of a mk5 golf gti is the most fragile substance known to science.

The slightest pressure from the bit caused the lens to shatter sending red plastic cascading down my window lodging in my wiper and covering the driveway, but it was a start and after a quick inspection I realised no damage to the paint had been caused out came the rubber mallet and screwdriver.

After removing the red lens I was met with a clear plastic one, enjoying the previous result from my assault with a screwdriver I proceeded in technichal terms to simply rag on it like a banshee till it broke.

You can see the studs on the far left that the screws go into on the inside of the spoiler what a genius piece of design. Close up.

Here I had to delicately smash the plastic around the stud. You can use whichever blunt object you desire, I plumbed for the screwdriver as it was already in my hand.

The lens unit fell out after the last barrage with the screwdriver leaving only the studs these where a bit fiddly to remove you can get you finger in and pin them from behind and unscrew them.

Fun part over now came the grommet or as I like to call it the knuckle shredder, it s on the end of this wire it will come out although only after the plastic around the hole has completely shredded your fingers.

After this I decided a quick sports day was in order. :signLOL:

Here's the little blighter I decided I would cut it in half to make my fingers feel better and to make it a little easier to compress through the hole in the spoiler.

And the connecter behind.

Fairly straightforward after this just the reversal of the process with less emphasis on the smashing. I didn't bother glueing the new unit in it held really well on the clips. Standing back I admired my handiwork.

That's better, rushing inside I proudly displayed the remnants of my vanquished foe to my missus. like a returning hunter I announced my successful replacement of my brake light in what would turn out to be a loud and excitable manner the end result being waking the baby and a bollicking.

More to follow.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 10:30:26 pm »
I bought this a while back, I have always been displeased with the ones available on eBay. Having bought one before the quality wasn't great and the sizing was non Oem. I noticed that the mk7 gti on some models had a red badge do decided to gamble and order one. I was a bit annoyed that for the price it was still only vinyl that coloured the badge.

However the quality was good so I decided to fit it. Old wonky badge denta flossed off.

All prepped for new one. I used the the vw rear lettering placement dimensions found here to mark up for the new badge.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4111.0.html

All finished and non wonky.

And a comparison between the two.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:24:14 pm by Washout »

Offline Jcarroll

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 02:20:06 pm »
Looks well!

Did you end up visiting Dane Chester about the wings and sills? A mate has not long had a Mk5 done with them and while they messed it up the first time, they re did them properly.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 09:35:17 pm »
Looks well!

Did you end up visiting Dane Chester about the wings and sills? A mate has not long had a Mk5 done with them and while they messed it up the first time, they re did them properly.

Thanks dude, no I haven't got round to that one yet matey its on the list lol.

Offline Gid

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »
Looking good mate, given me some ideas!

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 09:20:50 pm »
Looking good mate, given me some ideas!

Cheers matey.

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 02:19:46 pm »
My car is in at the moment for wings, sills and a new coil pack.

How are you getting on with the Gtechniq C4? I'm pretty sure I will order some.

Finally if you haven't sold the foot rest I would be interested in it?

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 05:07:33 pm »
Enjoyed reading through the thread, plenty of care and attention gone in. That first ebay GTI badge  :grin: liking the new one, very smart.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:07 pm »
My car is in at the moment for wings, sills and a new coil pack.

How are you getting on with the Gtechniq C4? I'm pretty sure I will order some.

Finally if you haven't sold the foot rest I would be interested in it?

Hey matey I haven't had the time to try the c4 yet it gets great reviews on a lot of other car forums, they love it over on Clio sport. I might end up buying new oem grills to refresh the front end. It just seems so time consuming to use the c4. As for the footrest your quite welcome to it dude still have it in my big pile of parts  :signLOL:.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:24 pm »
Enjoyed reading through the thread, plenty of care and attention gone in. That first ebay GTI badge  :grin: liking the new one, very smart.

Glad your enjoying it dude. I try and use just original parts It's hard trying to stick to your principals though because they just cost so much, bought some bits today from tps and it worked out eye blisteringly expensive. They always ask if your in the trade first and I swear I can hear a cha Ching on the end of the phone when I say no.  :signLOL:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2015, 10:47:49 pm »
 Glad your enjoying it dude. I try and use just original parts It's hard trying to stick to your principals though because they just cost so much, bought some bits today from tps and it worked out eye blisteringly expensive. They always ask if your in the trade first and I swear I can hear a cha Ching on the end of the phone when I say no.  :signLOL:
[/quote]

Look forward to seeing the new bits! I Only bought a MK5 GTI in the last 2 months and have already done a few bits, sure to start my own thread sooner or later! When you bought the Phillips headlights, did the sidelights come as free, as part of the deal? The headlights look so much better and I think I will get some when its pay day.

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:44 pm »

Look forward to seeing the new bits! I Only bought a MK5 GTI in the last 2 months and have already done a few bits, sure to start my own thread sooner or later! When you bought the Phillips headlights, did the sidelights come as free, as part of the deal? The headlights look so much better and I think I will get some when its pay day.
[/quote]

Of them there are lots lol. Yer get a thread up dude although be warned it will start snowballing next thing you know your lawnmower is outside and the shed is full of retrofit parts. The sidelights certainly did come for free in same box. For what they are I think there ace, your not going to get xenons but for twenty pounds I think a vast improvement. Looking at it not sure you can get any whiter without either being illegal or not as powerful.

I bought from power bulbs if you do a quick search for a promo code for them in Google you can usually get another 10 % of at checkout.

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2015, 07:53:40 pm »
Thanks for the advice man, I went ahead and bought some bulbs, also managed to get 20% off with a code so it was well worth searching for one! The look and brightness is soo much better, really happy with them! Without hijacking the thread too much....thought you might want a look.... :happy2: