Make a donation

Author Topic: Need more derv power! advice please.  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Dundy53

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Need more derv power! advice please.
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:56:53 pm »
Hey, so I bought a mk5 Golf GTTDi last year, done a lot of cosmetic mods now I'm planning some performance ones and need some advice please :)

Decat - Should I cut the cat out myself & weld it up (anyone got a guide) or buy a downpipe and just replace the whole thing? Would there be any extra power gain with buying one?

Remap - Is there anything I should do to the car besides decat & exhaust before getting it mapped?

Air filter - Should I get a K&N one or any other one for a little extra power? Or just stick to the VW ones..

I'm using the car for work & leisure so I don't want it to be too bad on fuel but also fast & fun.

If any of you have a spare 5 mins to give me some advice that'd be great,  cheers!

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Need more derv power! advice please.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:14 pm »
Look at member xjay1337 TDI build threads for his current and past motors that's a good starting point, which I found interesting and an educational read.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:34:54 pm »
The decat  will make the car rev a lot better  in the  mid range and better mated up to a free flowing  exhaust. .but don't forget with no cat on the car it will fail a mot

The oem air filter is fine and these performance filters on a diesel don't do anything except put a hole in your wallet

Offline Dundy53

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:30:52 am »
Perfect cheers guys.

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:46:42 am »
Who you going to for remap mate?

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 07:34:37 pm »
Cut the cat open and gut it, then re weld up, will pass mot and makes quite a big difference! I cut backbox off aswell and just extended the pipe
Fun bags

Offline kmackgttdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:57:19 pm »
i bashed the cat out on my gt tdi 4motion, just make sure u get it all out, I just used extensions and a hammer, as for mot, it's a diesel and they get smoke tested, removing the cat usually allows for less smoke as less particles are caught. They must however have a dpf if fitted. If you put a downpipe or dpf delete pipe on its obvious the cat or dpf has been removed. But they can't phsicaly check inside to make sure it's there. So on a dpf opening and removing it to leave the original pipe and sensors is the best way around it. In the case of dpf you would require a map or to have the function removed as the sensors would know it's no longer there.
Mk5 Gt TDi 4motion

Offline Dundy53

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:11 am »
I live in the Scottish Highlands so I think Revo is the best place which is closest to me for remapping,not sure though.

Has anyone got a guide for cutting the cat out? I've already got a miltek cat back so I'm sorted with the exhaust.

My GTTDi is a 140, I don't think they come with a dpf unless I missread somewhere.

Cheers guys.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:10:06 pm »
Hey, so I bought a mk5 Golf GTTDi last year, done a lot of cosmetic mods now I'm planning some performance ones and need some advice please :)

Decat - Should I cut the cat out myself & weld it up (anyone got a guide) or buy a downpipe and just replace the whole thing? Would there be any extra power gain with buying one?

Remap - Is there anything I should do to the car besides decat & exhaust before getting it mapped?

Air filter - Should I get a K&N one or any other one for a little extra power? Or just stick to the VW ones..

I'm using the car for work & leisure so I don't want it to be too bad on fuel but also fast & fun.

If any of you have a spare 5 mins to give me some advice that'd be great,  cheers!

Decat - buy a proper 2.5 / 3 inch pipe . less lag from turbo and remove rear silencers with the equal length pipe for a nice straight through system.. or small in line silencer if you want a bit less noise.

remap - yes of course. and put egr delete pipe on at same time. also fit new fuel filter and run with decent fuel , vpower or bp ultimate

air filter - leave it as stock with new filter .. if you want to go open cone then use an s2000 filter and put a proper heat shield on.

makes no differnce economy vs power to be honest, well tuned it will make the same or better MPG when cruising... best bang for your buck is darkside GTB turbo budget kit with a 1756vk on a cast manifold.
think it's £1800+vat drive in drive out service also includes a free service.
stock 2.0 tdi turbos on the BKD engine usually sh*t themselves. no 140bhp PD engined Mk5 Golfs had DPFs
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:12:11 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline Dundy53

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 04:19:07 pm »
Cheers for the reply xjay, very helpful. Where can I buy an egr delete pipe and what difference will it make?

ta

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 04:46:52 pm »
save dirty crap air being recycled back into inlet and lower inlet temps as a result. cleaner running engine
they are available on ebay or darksides website.

Offline kmackgttdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 09:17:03 pm »
I was referring to the fact that it will pass mot without cat and that its dpfs that have to be there.
Mk5 Gt TDi 4motion

Offline Dundy53

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 10:04:02 pm »
Okay I'll order one, cheers.

Oh right I see, the only thing I was worried about buying a new downpipe would be the no cat at MOT issue but if it's only dpf's that matter that's great, cheers.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 11:53:44 pm »
The memo we got sent from vosa stated if the car was manufactured  from new then it should be present when the car goes for a mot
So it should have a cat on as well