Make a donation

Author Topic: Potential oil problem  (Read 1543 times)

JordanGTI

Potential oil problem
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:15:40 pm »
I have not had my mk5 dsg gti for very long - only a month and a half. But about 3weeks ago the oil check light came on in my car so I immediately stopped at the nearest halfords and bought the expensive castrol oil and topped it up. I thought I would keep a close eye on my oil level as I hadn't really checked it before then. I checked it 6 days later and it had gone down a lot on the dipstick. I topped it up with 1 litre of oil. 7 days later I walked out to my car and it was raining and I saw a faint stream of oil that looked like it was coming from underneath my engine so I checked the oil again and it had gone down again. I thought I had a leak. I took it to halfords auto centre and they did a full check for leaks and found nothing at all leaking after they did a £50 diagnostic check. Very confused!

Important to know that since I got this car I have been driving it sensibly through the week, and having a bit of fun (fast driving) at the weekend. Since last topping it up a week ago I thought I would drive sensibly (economically) all week to see if it made a difference to my oil consumption. I checked it tonight and it is has gone down a little bit but not half as much as the week before. Making me think that the car massively drinks oil when I put my foot down but it's fine when driving economically.

Should I be worried?

(The car has only done 33K on a '57 plate and I do roughly 350miles a week)

Thanks

Offline cooljimy84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 18
    • Personal
    • Email
Re: Potential oil problem
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 10:21:06 pm »
I know its hard to see when having fun in it, but does it blow blue ish exhaust gas when 'giving in the beans" when warm.
My mk4 gti did, but only when warm, it drank oil like petrol when giving it the beans, was put down to the turbo oil seal on its was out... Making just under 15psi out of a 15 year old car with 180,000 on the clock would cause a probs.

Tho at ur age she should be keeping hers in.
There is no replacement for displacement....
But a turbo does help....

Liam0205

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 10:47:19 pm »
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere as that's far too much oil consumption

Have a look in the engine and under the car with a torch so look for oil but you probably need to get it looked at asap

Offline Softishman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:15:50 am »
Search for valve cover and check if yours is broken inside... Witch pcv version do you have?

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 04:04:05 pm »
Mine uses a smidge of oil and more so if I have some boost assisted driving. The owners manual States upto 1L per 1000km (621 miles) is acceptable.
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:51:18 pm »
I spotted a slight leak from mine over the weekend, think it's probably the rocker cover gasket.

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline cooljimy84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 18
    • Personal
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:17:22 pm »
If u can get the bottom tray off, it will catch 99% of leaks. Might give u an idea of where its coming from...
There is no replacement for displacement....
But a turbo does help....