Make a donation

Author Topic: Front top mount help!  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Airz182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Front top mount help!
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:53:54 am »
Trying to identify a clunking noise on the front of my car, its coming from the driverside. I seem to think its the top mount,  as the noise seems higher up, rather than something like a wishbone had a mechanic have a quick look at it, but he just looked underneth the car and seen grease and wd40 on the shock absorber from where i had been trying to undo my coilovers earlier on in the week, and said your shocker is fooked!! Tbh i dont think it is,
Now just wondering  if there any easy way of checking the top mount,  it does not make any noise when turning it stationary, only when driving down the road, just sort of get this constant thud.
Instagram- airz182

Offline Fozzy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Front top mount help!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:44:00 pm »
I've had the same thing the car was thudding over bumps and discovered it was my shock absorber gone! So having to change the shock I've gone the full hog an done top mounts too a sell as both front shocks!

I'm still getting a creak still??

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:30:52 pm »
Easiest way is to jack the car up so the wheel is about 2 inches off the ground, get a bar and lever the wheel up and down. It should be solid. Whilst your there though, check all the other bushes in the same way with a bar, looking out for movement. Not forgetting the drop links too! May be worth just making sure all bolts around that area are tight too including the 3 top mount bolts.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 06:32:24 pm by stuart-88 »

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline Airz182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:23:04 pm »
Easiest way is to jack the car up so the wheel is about 2 inches off the ground, get a bar and lever the wheel up and down. It should be solid. Whilst your there though, check all the other bushes in the same way with a bar, looking out for movement. Not forgetting the drop links too! May be worth just making sure all bolts around that area are tight too including the 3 top mount bolts.

Thanks will let ya know if i find anything, did notice today car seems like its wondering/tramling abit on the motorway, also had alook under the scuttle panel at top mounts, passangerside looks alot fresher than the driverside,
Instagram- airz182

Offline Airz182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:11:58 pm »
I've had the same thing the car was thudding over bumps and discovered it was my shock absorber gone! So having to change the shock I've gone the full hog an done top mounts too a sell as both front shocks!

I'm still getting a creak still??

How did you know your shock had gone?
Instagram- airz182

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html