Make a donation

Author Topic: Front Suspension Mk5 GTi  (Read 1590 times)

Offline N417H4N

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Front Suspension Mk5 GTi
« on: February 11, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »
Hi I'm planning on swapping springs over from standard to eibach, now I'm quite familer with lowering cars as I've done a few in the past last being coilovers on my ibiza cupra I had.

Now my question is on the fronts of the mk5 gti is it possible to do the swap without umbolting the driveshaft off each side?

Ive watched a video on YouTube and the guy said there's not enough clearance to remove the shock from the hub and the only way is to unbolt the driveshaft.

As far as I remember I had a similar issue with the ibiza fronts but pushing down hard enough on the front disc while pulling the shock worked.

Is this the case on the mk5?

Cheers

Offline Geomac901

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Front Suspension Mk5 GTi
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:58:14 pm »
Hi N417H4N. I recently did my own springs after my dad snapped one on a pothole round town. :( so ordered up some lovely fk lowering springs but they had been discontinued and i ended up with apex.. Good springs but not ones I wanted. Anyway.. I did them myself and they wernt too much trouble but it's definitely worth taking your time. I was doing the top mounts at the same time so. I had the whole strut off without disconnecting the steering rack nor the brake lines.. I disconnected the driveshafts at the wheel side rather than the engine side. I started loosening the driveshaft bolt.. Then the wheel bolts.. Jacked the car up and put her on axel stands.. removed the wheel and then lower ball joint.. The 3 bolts underneath the control arm..i used my jack to compress the strut and separate the control arm.. As its compressed I removes the 3 top mount bolts under the window skuttle .. And as the strut began to drop I was able to pull the hub out and push the top strut in towards the car and the driveshaft popped out. I was then able to move the strut outside the wheel arch and I replaced all I needed. Get an impact gun for the strut bolt. It's a PIA!! The reversal is tricky but you can do it.. Get help.. Someone will need to hold the strut as you get then 3 mount bolts lined up and in. Some clever jack stand work and you can compress the strut and put the driveshaft in aswell as the control arm back on and you should be good to go. Bear in mind I did this twice for each side because I never seated the top mount and bearings right so I had to re do all that work! Be careful.
55 plate mk5 GTi steel Grey.. Full leather with heated seats,  armrest with cd changer and flat bottomed steering wheel. Very standard :( 2.0 Tfsi Petrol.  That's all for now! :P

Offline N417H4N

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:25 pm »
Ok cheers for the info, when removing the bolt off the driveshaft (wheel end) does it just pull out?

Offline Geomac901

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:30 pm »
Yup. Once you unscrew it all the way it just slips out.
55 plate mk5 GTi steel Grey.. Full leather with heated seats,  armrest with cd changer and flat bottomed steering wheel. Very standard :( 2.0 Tfsi Petrol.  That's all for now! :P

Offline N417H4N

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:17:02 pm »
Sounds good, does it go back to a certain way, anything else I need to check or look out for?

Offline Geomac901

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »
It simply goes straight in. Hand turn it so it's not cross threading then tighten up. While the driveshaft is away from the hub it might be a good idea to check any boots or cv joints.

Offline N417H4N

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 12:00:03 am »
Cheers mate, thanks for the advise.