Make a donation

Author Topic: Coming from an Audi S3...  (Read 8712 times)

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Coming from an Audi S3...
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:52:14 pm »
Hi Guys,

Seemed silly posting this in the new members section as I joined some time ago after leaving a deposit on a silver ED30 with a garage in Sunderland, which I then pulled out of as there was some issues with the car.  Ultimately went for an S3 instead.

I'm now looking to scratch the ED30 itch after selling my 2007 S3, whilst a great car, just ultimately felt a little soulless and boring.

Recent car history...
Civic Type-R EP3
MK5 Golf R32
2005 Impreza STI
Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition
2006 Impreza STI
2007 Audi S3

A few questions I have as a prospective ED30 owner...

The MK5 steering wheel is looking a little dated, I'm aware of the guides to swap out with a MK6 wheel, but is there anyone in the North-East area who would do this as a paid service? Does the MFSW/DSG all work afterwards?

I've never owned an auto but am very tempted with DSG, has anyone done the same and have regrets?

Finally - did the ED30 ever have leather seats or are all the legacy tartan look?

I'm located in Hartlepool if there's any friendly yokels in the Teeside area :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:26:14 pm by oHUTCHYo »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Coming from an Audi S3...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:16 pm »
Welcome back
@skard might do the wheel conversion for you

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »
Thanks pal  :happy2:

Do you know where stard is located at all? I nearly decided against a MK5 purely as I loathe the steering wheel so much  :ashamed:

Edit: Located Durham, brilliant  :notworthy:

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:31:29 pm »
Will there be enough difference between an S3 and ED30 in the 'soul' department?
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:51:05 pm »
Will there be enough difference between an S3 and ED30 in the 'soul' department?

Hopefully so, at least on the basis of less weight and FWD only? Though ultimately it's still just a four-pot turbo so appreciate it won't give me the audible delights of my old R32/Imprezas.

I'd like a map that gives an old school turbo shove, akin to the VXRs/Scoobies, rather than a linear power delivery
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:53:56 pm by oHUTCHYo »

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 06:29:17 pm »
I came to the mk5 from the older shape S3 (via a detour to the M3 camp) and that was a great change but to come from the 2007 S3. not sure its totally worth it. Just get a decent GEO set up done on the S3?

That aside.

Yes the Mk6 wheel upgrade when done with the CH steering wheel control module will give you all the working buttons. Many including myself have done this.

For the interior, it came as tartan with leather bolsters with red stitching as standard. This is very desirable as a retro fit so if you can't find one with leather just offer it up afterwards for a swap with full leather. This is actually what I did but in reverse. My GTI had full leather and I wanted the ED30 interior so managed to swap. Some may see as a downgrade but as I said the tartan ed30 half leather is very south after.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 07:06:03 pm »
i love the steering wheel in my eddy  :surprised:

i was thinking of going from eddy to S3 at some point.

i live near middlesbrough. theres a guy in saltburn whos very god with VW's he fitted my cruise control. google - teeside VW
candy white edition 30

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 07:17:02 pm »
Cheers Spankiee.

We could have swapped if I hadn't have sold her!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:19:40 pm by oHUTCHYo »

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:22 pm »
Borrow a dsg for a week,

My car history is very similar to yours, I made the mistake of buying dsg which was a terrible drive, yes it's quick when giving it some but day to day it was a pita, always wanted to be in 6th gear
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:16 pm »
Borrow a dsg for a week,

My car history is very similar to yours, I made the mistake of buying dsg which was a terrible drive, yes it's quick when giving it some but day to day it was a pita, always wanted to be in 6th gear

I remember you from the R32 OC pal  :happy2:

I've pretty much convinced myself back to manual in the space of a few hours, you've sealed the deal  :signLOL:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:33:13 pm »
I'll fly the flag for dsg then

I love it.

Car history is

Honda crx
Vw corrado vr6
Audi s3 1.8t
Audi s3 1.8t
BMW m3 smg
Golf gti dsg

This year I also changed my caddy tdi manual for a dsg as well.

I'd not go back to a manual now. Love just leaving it in auto around town and then having manual control for the few times I actually need it when I go for a nice drive.

Take out the pre cat for a nice dsg gear change pop and stick on a milltek or similar and for me it's perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Paultc90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 10:25:37 am »
I was looking to get my wheel changed and coming from Glasgow the closest place I found was jmb retrofit. They are based in the north east and the price quoted was pretty reasonable.

Offline daiwill95

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:28 pm »
As far as i know they come with the half leather/half tartan seats, but im sure if you look hard enough you'll find one witer!h full leath

Liam0205

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 12:58:10 pm »
Borrow a dsg for a week,

I personally disagree with this argument about driving a DSG

Yes if you looking for a leisurely drive it will go to 6th as soon as possible , I'm guessing to be more economical however if you driving it hard it'll hold the revs longer.

Secondly, if you want more control over the gear changes switch to manual mode or use the paddles, best of both worlds.

dansmith180

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »
Regardless of what setting you have it in I just found it a much less engaging drive than a manual car. No doubt they're rapid but its not for me.