Make a donation

Author Topic: Coming from an Audi S3...  (Read 8714 times)

Saintsteve

Re: Coming from an Audi S3...
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:26 pm »
I've gone from AWD manual to a more powerful FWD DSG car. I like the gearbox, but I'd forgotten how rubbish FWD plus big power is!

I thought you had a R32? That hasn't got big power ?! :chicken:

dansmith180

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 08:34:15 pm »
R32 is medium power.  :popcornsoda:

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 11:52:45 pm »
I've gone from AWD manual to a more powerful FWD DSG car. I like the gearbox, but I'd forgotten how rubbish FWD plus big power is!

I thought you had a R32? That hasn't got big power ?! :chicken:

Time to re-read my post. I never said the AWD car had big power...

Offline Whitexed30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 02:06:46 pm »
Hi Guys,

Seemed silly posting this in the new members section as I joined some time ago after leaving a deposit on a silver ED30 with a garage in Sunderland, which I then pulled out of as there was some issues with the car.  Ultimately went for an S3 instead.

I'm now looking to scratch the ED30 itch after selling my 2007 S3, whilst a great car, just ultimately felt a little soulless and boring.

Recent car history...
Civic Type-R EP3
MK5 Golf R32
2005 Impreza STI
Astra VXR Nurburgring Edition
2006 Impreza STI
2007 Audi S3

A few questions I have as a prospective ED30 owner...

The MK5 steering wheel is looking a little dated, I'm aware of the guides to swap out with a MK6 wheel, but is there anyone in the North-East area who would do this as a paid service? Does the MFSW/DSG all work afterwards?

I've never owned an auto but am very tempted with DSG, has anyone done the same and have regrets?

Finally - did the ED30 ever have leather seats or are all the legacy tartan look?

I'm located in Hartlepool if there's any friendly yokels in the Teeside area :)

I have all of the cars you have had mate and I thought the same about the s3. The edition 30 is a much better drive :) less grip but better steering and overall handling and faster on the move.

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 08:41:14 pm »
My k1 cupra was a better car drive wise than the ed30 and for ed30 money you can get a lot newer cupra, maybe even an r
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 09:09:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

Seemed silly posting this in the new members section as I joined some time ago after leaving a deposit on a silver ED30 with a garage in Sunderland, which I then pulled out of as there was some issues with the car.  Ultimately went for an S3 instead.

I'm now looking to scratch the ED30 itch after selling my 2007 S3, whilst a great car, just ultimately felt a little soulless and boring.

Recent car history...
Civic Type-R EP3
MK5 Golf R32
2005 Impreza STI
2006 Impreza STI
2007 Audi S3

The MK5 steering wheel is looking a little dated, I'm aware of the guides to swap out with a MK6 wheel, but is there anyone in the North-East area who would do this as a paid service? Does the MFSW/DSG all work afterwards?

I've never owned an auto but am very tempted with DSG, has anyone done the same and have regrets?

Finally - did the ED30 ever have leather seats or are all the legacy tartan look?

I have all of the cars you have had mate and I thought the same about the s3. The edition 30 is a much better drive :) less grip but better steering and overall handling and faster on the move.

Thanks pal, that's extremely reassuring  :happy2:

It's also reassuring you're just as mental as I am for working through the A-Z of performance motors  :laugh: The one regret I have is not having an E46 M3 amongst them. I discounted the Ford ST3 out of badge snobbery alone, despite the nice sounding 2.5 lump.

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 09:11:58 pm »
My k1 cupra was a better car drive wise than the ed30 and for ed30 money you can get a lot newer cupra, maybe even an r

Funnily enough I looked at the Cupras earlier, I just can't get away with the cars aesthetic, though they do look like a steal in terms of good value.

dansmith180

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 09:26:49 pm »
What was missing from the S3 then? I'm looking at buying one....

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 09:40:22 pm »

Funnily enough I looked at the Cupras earlier, I just can't get away with the cars aesthetic, though they do look like a steal in terms of good value.
The interior doesn't look great and from the outside it looks like an Altea/MPV.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 09:51:20 pm »

It's hard to say - it was a brilliant car - technically the best of all I've owned from the list you see. Mine had Bose, flat bottom MFSW, Recaro wing backs etc. very well specced, comfortable, nice interior, fast'ish, solid build quality, part time 4wd, subtle.

On paper, it was perfect. In real life....erm....boring is the only word I can bring to mind?  Perhaps it was down to it being a heavy car, perhaps it was the 4 pot turbo, my other theory; it was just too perfect. I look back at my other cars and remember the good and bad, each had a personality. The S3 was akin to Mr. Perfect, nothing wrong with the guy, but just not someone you'd want to have a pint with?  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:55:25 pm by oHUTCHYo »

Offline Whitexed30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »
Hi Guys,

Recent car history...
Civic Type-R EP3
MK5 Golf R32
2005 Impreza STI
2006 Impreza STI
2007 Audi S3

It's also reassuring you're just as mental as I am for working through the A-Z of performance motors  :laugh: The one regret I have is not having an E46 M3 amongst them. I discounted the Ford ST3 out of badge snobbery alone, despite the nice sounding 2.5 lump.

Wasted all my money on cars and modding them Like a idiot lol I could of owned my own house by now but was fun. I always wanted a m3 and have drove a few but there just not practical as a everyday car and the problems but me off. I had a st montune 290 was a beast but had gearbox issues and I had to sell it juicy tho. The s3 was one of the most disappointing cars I have owned, edition 30 beats it in every way and is much better on fuel. I had a bmw 335i last and I would not advise anyone to get one, I had so many issues with the thing...

Offline Whitexed30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 10:07:45 pm »

The steering is life less on them and the under steer really bad

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 10:11:38 pm »
Hi Guys,

Recent car history...
Civic Type-R EP3
MK5 Golf R32
2005 Impreza STI
2006 Impreza STI
2007 Audi S3

Wasted all my money on cars and modding them Like a idiot lol I could of owned my own house by now but was fun. I always wanted a m3 and have drove a few but there just not practical as a everyday car and the problems but me off. I had a st montune 290 was a beast but had gearbox issues and I had to sell it juicy tho. The s3 was one of the most disappointing cars I have owned, edition 30 beats it in every way and is much better on fuel. I had a bmw 335i last and I would not advise anyone to get one, I had so many issues with the thing...

Jesus, so glad you mentioned the 335i as that was down as a potential. The cracked liner issue put me off the Focus too.

Worst car for me, the VXR. In the space of 4 weeks; £650 gearbox rebuild and £260 cracked manifold/turbo replacement. Both issues common on the VXR, I was lucky enough to be hit with both.

Offline oHUTCHYo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 10:14:35 pm »
The steering is life less on them and the under steer really bad

Yes agreed, felt a little numb really. Good for a cruiser I guess. Depends what you want from the car Dan? At 32 year old I seen mine as a way to calm my arse down with something subtle but still sporty, maybe it was too early for me  :evilgrin:

dansmith180

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 10:28:46 pm »
I want something reliable and nice, but puts a big grin on my face when I get shifting on a twisty road. I knew they might be a bit calm as standard but I want a platform I can go big power on at some point.

Is the steering really that bad? Is there any way to improve it like suspension/ polybushing/ lighter wheels etc...

Cheers for the responses  :happy2: