Make a donation

Author Topic: 12v feed in fuse box.  (Read 9102 times)

Offline Munzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
12v feed in fuse box.
« on: February 15, 2015, 06:18:22 pm »
Hi All,

I'm looking at hard wiring my dash cam via the method in the link below.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87776.msg893190.html

Can anyone advise if this is still the preferred method and/or the necessary wiring required for me to complete?

Cheers

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
Re: 12v feed in fuse box.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »
Buy a fuse tap. Easy
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline Munzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:32:59 pm »
Buy a fuse tap. Easy

What kit do I need for this?

Loads of bits on eBay but confused with the pieces I need. preferably something which doesn't need soldering.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 07:37:16 pm »
The piggyback fuse holder is the easiest way of connecting a wire to the fusebox. If your dash cam power lead has a cigarette lighter plug on the end then the socket I used works well, but if you're not worried about the plug then you can cut it off and connect it straight to the piggy back fuse holder.

No soldering involved just crimping a couple of wires.

Offline Munzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 08:33:43 pm »
The piggyback fuse holder is the easiest way of connecting a wire to the fusebox. If your dash cam power lead has a cigarette lighter plug on the end then the socket I used works well, but if you're not worried about the plug then you can cut it off and connect it straight to the piggy back fuse holder.

No soldering involved just crimping a couple of wires.

The dash cam is powered by the usual 12v plug, could you link me to the parts required if possible?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Phil_H

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:05:49 pm »
I'll be fitting (Hard Wiring) a FineVU CR-500HD in to my GTI in the next week or so.

I'm an Aircraft Electrician by trade and used to be a Car Mechanic....so will do a complete "How To" guide to pluming it in (Generic Electrical stuff and cable routing), hopefully this will help a few people out.

Regards
Phil

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:42:01 pm »

The dash cam is powered by the usual 12v plug, could you link me to the parts required if possible?

Thanks for your help!
[/quote]

This is the type of piggyback fuse holder I used, you want a mini blade:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circuit-Tap-Piggy-Back-Standard-Mini-Micro-W-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATO-ATC-ATM-/181548486357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a45220ed5

This is the type of cigarette lighter socket I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12v-Portable-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Socket-Adapter-With-Crocodile-Clips-/400696046411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4b58734b

You may be able to get the parts cheaper elsewhere. Doing it this way all you are doing is putting a 12v power socket right next to the fuse box. It's all much easier to do than it looks.

Offline Munzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:29:14 pm »
I'll be fitting (Hard Wiring) a FineVU CR-500HD in to my GTI in the next week or so.

I'm an Aircraft Electrician by trade and used to be a Car Mechanic....so will do a complete "How To" guide to pluming it in (Generic Electrical stuff and cable routing), hopefully this will help a few people out.

Regards
Phil

Fantastic, that would be great to see. Thanks Phil.

Offline Munzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »

Thanks for your help!

This is the type of piggyback fuse holder I used, you want a mini blade:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circuit-Tap-Piggy-Back-Standard-Mini-Micro-W-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATO-ATC-ATM-/181548486357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a45220ed5

This is the type of cigarette lighter socket I used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12v-Portable-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Socket-Adapter-With-Crocodile-Clips-/400696046411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4b58734b

You may be able to get the parts cheaper elsewhere. Doing it this way all you are doing is putting a 12v power socket right next to the fuse box. It's all much easier to do than it looks.
[/quote]

Brilliant; although how do I go about the crocodile clips?

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 02:42:24 pm »
Cut the black clip off and crimp an eyelet on to the end of the wire and connect this to an earthing point. There's a screw right near the fusebox.

Cut the red clip off and crimp this to the through crimp that's on the end of the wire connected to the piggyback fuse holder.

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 02:42:37 pm »
Which fuse did you use to tap into?

Offline An0NyMOUs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
  • A Nuisance
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:27:43 pm »
I just put a spade connector on a bit of wire and plugged it into a fuse holder that was on an ignition live?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2.0 FSI 4motion

Offline gtivirgin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:46 am »
I am looking to do this as well. Got the fuse tap and fuses and 12v socket etc. Just wondering, can I plug this in to an unused sport in the fuse box or will it have to go where an existing fuse is? I know if it is used with an existing fuse the original fuse will have to go in it as well but I have read that some people just use the fuse tap to wire up stuff to unused sockets in their fuse boxes that were for optional stuff or extra their cars don't have so are not connected to anything.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:50 pm »
if your dash cam uses a standard mini or micro USB plug into the actual camera you can bypass a lighter socket all together you just need to figure out what voltage your camera runs off  e.g  my nextbase one runs off a 5v Micro USB  so i bought this 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Step-down-12V-24V-to-5V-micro-USB-output-Power-Supply-for-car-UK-/351605493956?hash=item51dd5210c4:g:~t8AAOSwZ1lWcHgY

same method  live to the piggy back holder and earth to the chassis

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 05:01:51 pm »
Which fuse did you use to tap into?

The fuse way I used in the photo when I did the install was spare but was connected to the switched supply. I can't give you a fuse way number as I no longer have the car.

Have a look at any spare ways in the fusebox and see if you can see the metal connector on one side, if so put a meter on it and see if it's live all the time or when the ignition is switched on.