Make a donation

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
What would you do?
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:22:19 pm »
Back story: I've recently had a puncture and the Goodyear (winter) tyre was proper f***ed by the time I found somewhere safe to stop and change it. Local tyre shop couldn't get hold of a replacement, but I've found one online for £122. As I had 2 Hankook winter tyres in the garage I got them to stick those on the back axle, meaning a mixed set of tyres. It cost me 32 quid to have the tyres changed over and I now have the one remaining GY in the garage.

So my options are:

1. Leave the car as it is, winter's nearly over (hopefully) and the summer rubber will be going back on, then sell the one tyre I have left on ebay.
2. Buy another Goodyear and pay another £30 to get them swapped back so all 4 are the same. The shagged tyre was an Ultragrip 8 which has seemingly been replaced, so there could soon be a time when I won't be able to get another the same.

I do like the thought of all the tyres being the same, but that means spending £150+ and the car seems fine with the Hankooks on the rear, although I've only driven it about a mile in the wet so far. If I wait until next winter and find out the Hankooks are crap I may have to shell out for 2 new tyres because the one I had will be unavailable...

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=t5llum4p9n8e0dikcbk0golrj2&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »
Swap to summer tyres now... not cold enough to warrant winters IMO

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:15:23 pm »
Back to summers, if you hear of more snow inbound later in the year source a tyre then.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:50:39 pm »
I work night shifts, so it's usually still pretty cold when I'm going to and from work. I'm also not keen on my summer tyres because they're useless!

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:50:45 am »
I work night too simonp, and the winters are staying on for a little while yet.  Its too late if its snowing one morning and you've put summers back on  :happy2:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:39:50 pm »
Gonna leave it as is for now mefinks.