Make a donation

Author Topic: Standard Brake Changes - Discs/Pads/Fluid Recommendations please  (Read 991 times)

Offline JonnyM92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Hello chaps,

Was due to research this in time, but since I had to change my rear pads over the weekend I thought I'd ask for a collective view on brakes.

Basically just got a standard GTi set up, looking at a remap soon, so want to upgrade the braking performance whilst refreshing the parts.

So, what's everyone got?

I was thinking.. Mintex M1144s for the front, standard Mintex at the rear all with standard Brembo discs.. ATE SL.6 DOT4 fluid.

Anything I should change with the above? Open to suggestions and experiences.

Also, what size discs? I have seen a size (& price) difference with the rears in particular, sizes from 220mm to 282mm..

I believe it's 312 vented front and 282 solid rear?

Cheers for any tips.

Offline btowery

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Standard Brake Changes - Discs/Pads/Fluid Recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:01:27 am »
I source mine in the USA from CarboTech. http://carbotechperformance.com/
They are primarily a race pad company but make pads that are excellent for track days. I've used both their XP8s an XP10s. Excellent pads at a reasonable price point. I'm confident they will ship overseas.
For fluid, I highly recommend Motul. No better product. Check the wet and dry boiling points of all fluids you consider. The wet boiling point is the one with which you are most concerned. I don't think you'll find any higher than Motul. Great quality control. Remember, don't buy any brake fluid in large containers. Once they're opened, they immediately begin to absorb water. Water boils. Always add from fresh, unopened containers (well, if your adding from a closed container that YOU KNOW has only been open for a couple of weeks, maybe that's ok).