Make a donation

Author Topic: Factory parking sensor issues  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
Factory parking sensor issues
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:51 am »
Folks

My 2006 GTI seems to have developed a fault with the parking sesnors (factory fitted). It started a few weeks back when the car was filthy, the sensors were beeping as if I was almost hitting an object when in fact I was quite some distance away from anything at all. I put it down to dirt, washed the car & made sure the sensors were clear of any debris. For a short while this seemed to clear the fault & they worked as normal. After the next wash when I selected reverse they started beeping as before & I thought it may have been water droplets so ignored & drove on. From yesterday everytime I select reverse gear I'm getting the almost hitting something level of beeps & sometimes a solid beep like I have collided but have been no where near any object at all.

I did do a search but couldn't find any particular answers to my specific problem hence the new thread.

Anyone any ideas or have a similar problem? I don't really need or use the sensors so it's not a big issue but I hate to have something broken on the car & it can be quite annoying & sometimes off-putting.

I don't have access to vagcom or vcds so thought I would hit up the masses & see what the general consenus was or if there is a common issue that I haven't been able to discover online?

Thanks in advance

Stephen :)

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Factory parking sensor issues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »
Just to add, I have exactly the same problem.
Looking at the sensors, one of them has rough paint so I'm guessing it's corroded under the paint. I'm going to lightly sand the paint back and see if I can remove any of the corrosion.

Does the beeping sound come though the cars speakers? I'm changing to an aftermarket head unit shortly, so I'm hoping that will stop the constant beeping when I'm in reverse?

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 12:56:20 pm »
No idea where it comes from but I have an aftermarket stereo (pioneer) fitted & still have the same problems. The sensors look fine to me but I'll have a closer look after work. Just to add, my pioneer has been fitted for months so it's definitely not anything to do with that  :confused:

Offline Jknight89

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:53:01 pm »
One of the sensors will be faulty lads causing a incorrect reading. If you can have access to vagcom you can read the measured values from the sensors which will indicate which one is reading wrong

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:04:10 pm »
Cheers bud, it's finding someone with vagcom who knows what they're doing with it where I live (Northern Ireland) that's my problem then.

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:07:49 pm »
Thanks for that mate, don't know anybody local to me in Bradford with VCDS though.
Will have to put a request out.

I've also heard that you can turn down the volume of the beeping through VCDS? Might just go down that route, rather than buying a new sensor, as I don't think I actually need them. Can park fine without something beeping at me!

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:34:46 pm »
Full day without issue today, hoping that's it sorted itself out!

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:50:39 pm »
Lucky you! Mines beginning to drive me mad! Ha ha

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You