Make a donation

Author Topic: Back in a GTi - this time an ED30  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Back in a GTi - this time an ED30
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:02:04 am »
Morning

I bought a Shadow Blue five door GTi a couple of years ago and sold it six months ago thinking we needed a more practical car.

An Audi A4 Avant S Line replaced the Golf, but I really didn't get on with it. My wife does a lot of small journeys and that plus all the horror stories with the 2.0 TDi oil pump failures, DMF, injector issues and DPF/EGR problems contributed to it staying in our ownership for 4.5 months. By far the least amount of time we've owned a car and a bit of a hit financially having bought from an independent. It was a nice looking car and a lovely place to sit, just the wrong engine!

I sold the Audi back at the end of January and have been looking at lots of different options.

The other week I noticed a five door Edition 30 with a good specification with a slightly quirky advert on Autotrader. Out of curiosity I contacted the seller and traveled the four hour round trip to view it.  It turns out it's a one lady owner from new, having covered 45k miles. It's a five door, manual with the Winter Pack, high line computer, multi-function steering wheel, Xenon headlights, rear parking sensors and a detailed service history. It's not been modified in any way which is ideal and it has four decent matching Continental tyres.

Body work wise it needs a really good clean and machine polish but its not had any paint and the body work is pretty honest. I gave the interior a really good clean and started claying the bonnet and doors. I also cleaned up the door shuts and the engine bay looks pretty horrible at present! In the coming months I'll get a detailer to give it a thorough correction.

Where it's been parked under trees, the drains and scuttle are full of leaves and crud.  What is the best way to clean this out? Pressure washer? I've checked the wings for rust and they are solid. My previous car went in to VW to have some rust sorted so I'm aware of these issues!

Plans are to tidy up the paint work and engine bay, then get it serviced with engine and gearbox fluid change, AC regas and get the cam follower replaced.

Cheers

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:36:40 pm by Motor Mad »

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Back in a GTi
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 02:10:02 pm »
A couple of pictures of the new car

I've done a couple of minor jobs. I changed the pollen filter which was pretty full of tree and replaced it with a Bosch carbon filter. I've also spent a bit of time with a machine polisher getting rid of some of the swirl marks and imperfections. I bought a DAs6 Pro with M105 and M205, plus Hex Logic pads.

I focused on the bird poo stains that had marred the paint work and there were also scratches where it had dried and welded itself to the paint making it tricky to remove.

Before

After. All gone!

Its booked it in on Monday to get two small car park dings removed, then on Tuesday its going for a service, replacing the engine oil and transmission fluid at SE Autoworks in Guildford.

Over the weekend I need to get my new cam follower fitted which I've just collected from VW. Strange that there's an expiry date on the cam follower.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:51:40 pm by Motor Mad »

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Back in a GTi - this time an ED30
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:30:41 pm »
New car's looking good - I don't think I could ever stay on top of keeping black paint in good condition, so you're braver than me!
I've wondered that about the cam follower too when I bought a replacement for mine - not sure what could 'expire', other than VW's profits if they are held in stock for too long...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:21:18 am »
Welcome back.We have a lot of kia cars come back to us at work with dpf issues..Congrats on the purchase of Ed30

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:37:46 am »
New car's looking good - I don't think I could ever stay on top of keeping black paint in good condition, so you're braver than me!

Cheers, a grey or silver edition 30 would have been my preference, but because this car was a low mileage one lady owner car from new, I thought it was worth it. The paint has come up really well so now it's coated in wax, keeping it tidy shouldn't be too hard.......

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:49:25 am »
Welcome back.We have a lot of kia cars come back to us at work with dpf issues..Congrats on the purchase of Ed30

Thanks, it's threads like this one below that helped with the decision to sell it on. Audi didn't seem to acknowledge the issue although the Internet has loads of horror stories. I know tens of thousands of 2.0 Tdi's were sold, but I just couldn't be bothered with it.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-0tdi-oil-pump-balancer-shaft-problems-the-definitive-guide-audi-vw-skoda-seat.140949/

It wasn't the only reason I got shot, I also didn't like the power delivery compared to my mk6 2.0 Golf TDi. It felt really flat low down. Finding decent estate cars is tricky enough as generally they are work horses or family cars so aren't in the best condition. Also the majority are diesel as people don't seem to want petrol estates. My wife does a fair few short journeys, so the car won't regularly get hot enough to regen and that's when you start getting issues with DPF's.

I'm really glad to be back in the Golf, they are really good cars.

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:13:20 pm »
I didn't get a chance to change the cam follower over the weekend so it was done as part of the service today. The cars is on 45,900 miles and I can't see any evidence in the history to suggest that the cam follower has been changed before.

A bit of the coating has been removed but nothing too drastic. Glad it's been done though.

I also had some minor car park dings taken out yesterday. I'm really pleased with the results. Just need to spend a bit more time on the paint work, then I'll do a couple of bits to tidy up the interior, then it'll be left alone for a while.

I'm off to the Nurburgring in May and I need to work out whether I'll take my Integra, or take the work diesel and hire a car. Cars are an expensive hobby......

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 09:33:22 pm »
I'm still enjoying the Edition 30. I replaced the DV with a revision G and although the original one didn't have any visible damage, the car feels more consistent.

Next up is to replace the PCV as I'm hoping that why the fuel economy is poor. Driving like a saint gets no more than 30mpg which is significantly less than the previous GTi.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:14:24 pm by Motor Mad »

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:56:28 pm »
You will see an mpg difference between the ko3 in your previous one and the ko4 turbo in the ED30. My Ed30 is always a few mpg behind the wifes ko3 in her Leon.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 11:39:21 am »

Thanks for the reply. I think it's a combination of things, but the old K03 GTi would see 39mpg on a run and this one will get 32mpg. That's probably made worse by driving the TDi and getting into high 50's/ low 60's and 650 miles to a tank!

I didn't buy it for the fuel consumption, but was slightly surprised by the difference. I'll change the PCV then that's the preventative maintenance bits done.

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 02:30:20 pm »
I've given the car another going over with the DAS6 Pro. It's come up really well and has been covered in Collinite 476S in preparation for Winter.

I've also done more preventative maintenance. I changed the PCV for the most up-to-date part from VW (revision R). The old PCV looked fine, but at least I've now changed the PCV, cam follower and diverter valve. The car seems to idle better, but maybe that's just placebo effect!

I was down at Brands Hatch last week and saw an edition 30 lapping at a good pace. Not the best photo ever, but I thought I'd see if it was anyone on here.....

Plus a pretty serious looking track machine;

I was over in Cologne earlier this month for work, so decided to spend the weekend at the Nurburgring. The weather wasn't the best and the track was empty so I took the TDi around for a splash in the rain. It was undoubtedly the slowest lap I've ever done, but also the most efficient! The weather then improved, so I used it as an opportunity to get to some of the really good viewing point around the Ring.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:08:42 pm by Motor Mad »