Make a donation

Author Topic: Hesitation when starting  (Read 4438 times)

Offline simpsb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Hesitation when starting
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 08:42:40 pm »
 :happy2: same here. its like the battery is dead

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 09:56:34 pm »
As mentioned earlier, there's a big thread on this somewhere on here. Must admit, I always thought the same about my ED30 - just seems a bit lazy churning into life compared to my old 1.8T which burst into life (albeit with that annoying screech that the starters seem to have after a few years of dust / grime!).

It's pretty normal as far as I know - seems to be a trait of the engines!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 10:51:07 pm »
Same here.... Sometimes I don't start car for days as I live where I work so that start on a Friday is abit of a grumpy one!
R-tech Stage 2+ Pirelli Gti

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 07:58:09 pm »
I have the same and I was going to post a new topic on this very same issue, but as I see it has been covered before, I did not bother. 

It is like it is not 'catching' when I try to start.  iirc, it never used to do this, only since about the last 5 months.

But I have noticed that when I park the car in the garage and go to shut the door - I reverse into the garage - I can here a quiet hmmmmm noise.   I am not sure how long it hummmms for, and I am wondering it is draining the battery a little bit? 
Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 08:11:56 pm »
Mine used to do this loads, I spent a bit of time looking into it, initially it looked like fuel pressure was leaking back from the high pressure side of the fuel rail, I wrote some obd logging software to record the rail and line (from the low pressure pump) pressures during each start. That turned out to be a false alarm, it would start just as well with high and low rail and line pressure. Then I tried plugs etc, no difference, the last thing after fuel and spark was air, the throttle body butterfly acts as the idle control, running off a stepper motor, there is no separate idle control circuit. So next to performed an adaptation on the throttle body, bingo !, it's not perfect and very occasionally gets a bit spluttery but it's 10x better than it was and not something I notice anymore. As I said I spent a load of time trying to work it out and this fixed it for me

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 08:36:15 pm »
My old mk5 gti used to splutter like mad and was a little embarrassing when the neighbors seen it trying to start, even had a few people ask what's up with the car. Anyways my 2nd mk5 gti doesn't splutter at all, turn key and bang it's running. Both cars were pampered. Wouldn't worry about it.

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 09:36:42 pm »
Could broken or sticking runner flaps cause this?

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 10:48:30 pm »
You would get a error code doe that, my runners are fine,
So very doubtful. Def wasn't the case with my care

Offline Berry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 11:58:50 pm »
Mine used to do this loads, I spent a bit of time looking into it, initially it looked like fuel pressure was leaking back from the high pressure side of the fuel rail, I wrote some obd logging software to record the rail and line (from the low pressure pump) pressures during each start. That turned out to be a false alarm, it would start just as well with high and low rail and line pressure. Then I tried plugs etc, no difference, the last thing after fuel and spark was air, the throttle body butterfly acts as the idle control, running off a stepper motor, there is no separate idle control circuit. So next to performed an adaptation on the throttle body, bingo !, it's not perfect and very occasionally gets a bit spluttery but it's 10x better than it was and not something I notice anymore. As I said I spent a load of time trying to work it out and this fixed it for me

Madone could you expand on that a bit? What sort of adaptation did you perform? Glad to hear it's common, as mines had it since I bought her.
Shadow Blue MK5 GTI

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bm2cthmah69p614ngirip3i8r2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 12:31:18 am »
Mine used to start terribly. Since the intake valves have been cleaned it's been much better

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 07:02:58 am »

Madone could you expand on that a bit? What sort of adaptation did you perform? Glad to hear it's common, as mines had it since I bought her.

It's a setting you can run in vcds, you don't need to do anything other than let the software do its thing

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 10:04:13 am »
I'm getting a RFD and intake clean done over the next few weeks, but also have the throttle body alignment done too, hopefully this will help

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 04:35:17 pm »
How often do you guys replace your fuel filters?  They have a fuel pressure regulator built into them, which can play up.  Whilst the rail pressure may be OK, the flow might not be, hence the sluggish starting.  I also suspect the mechanical pump needs a little time to build pressure / flow and if the feed pressure / flow is not there on the initial first cold start, it doesn't help matters.

If you're in-tank pump is a little more audible than usual, try bunging a new filter on as it's cheap easy to replace.   Mine has always started on the button since I've had it, but then again, I did a *FULL* service on it the day after I picked it up.  All filters, plugs, MAF, coilpacks, oil, coolant, all of it.  I like to 'start over' when I get a new car as you never know how it was treated beforehand.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:37:26 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 05:13:57 pm »
I also done a complete service too including dv, and cam follower as soon as I bought it, so I don't think it's the fuel filter causing it

Also, it's had new coils fitted too in the last 6months

Offline neiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 06:53:43 pm »
I have the same sort of problem my gti has 76k on the clock was thinking of doing a valve clean when I get the chance And the weather is better

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk