Make a donation

Author Topic: New to modification  (Read 2921 times)

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
New to modification
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:26:06 am »
Hiya

I'm a newbie to performance modification. I've had my mk5 GTI a year now and fancy seeing what I get out of it. Question is where do you start for the most bang for your buck? Also at what point do you start thinking about upgrading parts for piece of mind and for being able to handle the power? Totally newbie guys and girls.

Offline kr15h_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: New to modification
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:37:20 am »
greetings,
depends on your budget, i would say panel filter (piper cross or vwr), remove the pre cat (about a hours labour) and get it remapped(revo, Rtech, apr) and run the car on on either shell power or tesco momentum. Thats in my opinion the best value for money mods. The car should handle the power fine, just get the Diverter valve and cam follower checked and if your car is manual depending on milage, you might want to budget for a clutch.

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:40:45 am »
greetings,
depends on your budget, i would say panel filter (piper cross or vwr), remove the pre cat (about a hours labour) and get it remapped(revo, Rtech, apr) and run the car on on either shell power or tesco momentum. Thats in my opinion the best value for money mods. The car should handle the power fine, just get the Diverter valve and cam follower checked and if your car is manual depending on milage, you might want to budget for a clutch.

Cheers for that. What kind of gains can I expect from those mods as a whole?

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:07 pm »
Have a look through here.

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/volkswagen/golf-v-jetta/15/stage-1/

It'll give you a rough idea of what to expect, also if you look at the other stages it'll show you what other mods you have to do (along with the next stage of remap) in order to get the specified return.

As mentioned above (and highlighted in the figures on Revo's website) fuel quality plays a pretty big part.

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »
Have a look through here.

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/volkswagen/golf-v-jetta/15/stage-1/

It'll give you a rough idea of what to expect, also if you look at the other stages it'll show you what other mods you have to do (along with the next stage of remap) in order to get the specified return.

As mentioned above (and highlighted in the figures on Revo's website) fuel quality plays a pretty big part.

That's extremely helpful. Thanks very much! :)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »
Get a stage 1 map. *Cough* R-Tech *Cough*

Nothing else is needed (mod wise) but as mentioned check your DV, PCV, Cam Follower and that should do it.

Happy modding

:drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline samiul11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:40 pm »
Get a K04  :signLOL:

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:10:11 pm »
Just enjoy the car how it was intended and don't waste your money mate  :jumpmove:  :happy2:

Honestly just dont see the point in modding a fwd car much over 200bhp especially without a limited slip differential  :stupid:  :signLOL:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:02 pm »
^^^^ Not the view held by most on this forum i shall hazard a guess! ETTO I suppose.  :confused:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:48:03 pm »
^^^^ Not the view held by most on this forum i shall hazard a guess! ETTO I suppose.  :confused:

Yes ETTO for sure hey mate
Only my oppinion anyway, a just really enjoy the car for what it is and what it was built for, being great at everything  :smiley: plus faster you make it the faster you tend to drive which is almost impossible in this speed camera ridden country these days anyway
Spend the money on V power and keeping the car immaculately clean and maintained etc instead  :happy2:

Heavily modified my previous mk1 focus Rs and really regreted it afterwards even though it was very powerful  :sad1:

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 08:24:40 pm »
Why didn't you keep the RS then mate?

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »

As said in my above post mate, loved the car, then heavily modded it and errrr ruined it  :sick:
Then started a family and unfortunately the Rs just wasn't a ideal all round car for every occasion  :driver:

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 08:55:38 pm »

As said in my above post mate, loved the car, then heavily modded it and errrr ruined it  :sick:
Then started a family and unfortunately the Rs just wasn't a ideal all round car for every occasion  :driver:
Exactly why I chose the GTI twice too. Being an all rounder with what I could afford cash in hand. Cant think of other car to buy at that time

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:08:17 pm »
Yes ive also owned 2 Mk5 Gti's first one a bought in 2008 on a 06 plate but had to sell after only 6 month ownership due to recession hitting our firm hard  :surprised:

Stepped back into curren mk5 Gti in Aug last year fully loaded on 57 plate and apart from few niggly issues when first got it im now absolutely loving it.
As you say just a great all round car that's literally perfect for everything  :smiley:
Been looking at the newer mk7 Gti's recently but keep asking myself is it even worth it as in all honesty not much seems to have changed in comparison to the mk5 really! Bit nippier and a limited slip diff if you find one with performance pack option oh and 3 times the price  :sick:

Offline RC84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:55 pm »
Yes ive also owned 2 Mk5 Gti's first one a bought in 2008 on a 06 plate but had to sell after only 6 month ownership due to recession hitting our firm hard  :surprised:

Stepped back into curren mk5 Gti in Aug last year fully loaded on 57 plate and apart from few niggly issues when first got it im now absolutely loving it.
As you say just a great all round car that's literally perfect for everything  :smiley:
Been looking at the newer mk7 Gti's recently but keep asking myself is it even worth it as in all honesty not much seems to have changed in comparison to the mk5 really! Bit nippier and a limited slip diff if you find one with performance pack option oh and 3 times the price  :sick:

If your thinking of selling your GTI give me a shout, have cash waiting :happy2:
ross_connolly_uk@yahoo.co.uk