Make a donation

Author Topic: Haldex GTI Conversion  (Read 10561 times)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Haldex GTI Conversion
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 06:59:50 pm »
Is the floor pan on the gti the same as on the R - this could be a very interesting project, could be tempted by this !

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »
Bit of weight over the back axle wouldn't hurt in some cases and also has a benefit in that the weight is lower in the car and therefore would counter the increased weight of a big turbo and pipework that would raise the c of g.

Lower vertical c of g = less weight transfer so to get the same weight transfer you can brake later and harder without overwhelming the contact patch

You'll be needing brakes that will probably give an increase in weight over the stock S3/Cupra kit to cope with the additional capability in terms of corner arrival speed and heat generation..

500BHP is achievable but will hurt like a bitch, better to aim for 400-450 and have the reliability/traction/driveability, there are some 50 page build threads over on SCN about this and its months of a job with lots of off road time and a 5 figure budget and not always with good results.

A 4WD cupra will be a unique car and a big player on the show scene if thats where you want to go with it

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 10:58:10 pm »
Bit of weight over the back axle wouldn't hurt in some cases and also has a benefit in that the weight is lower in the car and therefore would counter the increased weight of a big turbo and pipework that would raise the c of g.

Lower vertical c of g = less weight transfer so to get the same weight transfer you can brake later and harder without overwhelming the contact patch

You'll be needing brakes that will probably give an increase in weight over the stock S3/Cupra kit to cope with the additional capability in terms of corner arrival speed and heat generation..

500BHP is achievable but will hurt like a bitch, better to aim for 400-450 and have the reliability/traction/driveability, there are some 50 page build threads over on SCN about this and its months of a job with lots of off road time and a 5 figure budget and not always with good results.

A 4WD cupra will be a unique car and a big player on the show scene if thats where you want to go with it

450hp would be nice, 400 wouldnt satisfy me though.

Would love to get the car up to show spec, mags etc.

4WD = weight full stop...unless u do some stripping!

Carrera S with charger? why?

Might aswell buy a GT2 or Turbo!

Price. Carrera S about 35k, another 7k for the charger kit. Actually the charger kit will bump the normal 911 carrera up to the same power as a charged 911.

Obviously I have a dilema? What car is good round corners, and is quicker than a stage 2 plus k04 without costing 80-90k?

Is the floor pan on the gti the same as on the R - this could be a very interesting project, could be tempted by this !

Regards,

Gareth

The canadians have done it, they cut the boot floor and had to make it shallower, and re-run the the exhaust system. Tbh it doesnt look all that complicated, but then again, is the wheelbase for the leon and the golf 100% the same?

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:38:56 am »
Why don't you just chop yours and get a second hand S3, they seem to be going for resonable prices now. Let's say £20k for one throw £10-15k at it in mods and you will have a serious weapon without having to go through the hassle of making your Cupra 4WD. I know the Cupra would be unique but there aint many sorted BT S3's in the UK  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 01:03:23 pm »
Why don't you just chop yours and get a second hand S3, they seem to be going for resonable prices now. Let's say £20k for one throw £10-15k at it in mods and you will have a serious weapon without having to go through the hassle of making your Cupra 4WD. I know the Cupra would be unique but there aint many sorted BT S3's in the UK  :happy2:

APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 07:12:16 pm »

Price. Carrera S about 35k, another 7k for the charger kit. Actually the charger kit will bump the normal 911 carrera up to the same power as a charged 911.

Obviously I have a dilema? What car is good round corners, and is quicker than a stage 2 plus k04 without costing 80-90k?

Bloody hell mate, what do you do for a job to afford a 911? Arent you younger than me?

They are a bitch to run (the wheels are over £1k each) If you can afford it though good on you, go for it i say  :happy2:

Quite a few cars quicker than a stage 2 plus ko4 mate that will handle well but none as new or as nice as yours

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1154304.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1342512.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1290817.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1356516.htm

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:02:12 pm »

Well it was between the S3 and the cupra when I was looking, but went for the k1 due to its more boy racier looks, and because of weight, and thinking that 300hp would be enough for me, but now it turns out stage 2 plus isnt enough.

I mean to convert to haldex should cost about 5k wouldnt it? At that price it would still make sense to me to keep the cupra instead of upgrading to a older S3.

Bloody hell mate, what do you do for a job to afford a 911? Arent you younger than me?

They are a bitch to run (the wheels are over £1k each) If you can afford it though good on you, go for it i say  :happy2:

Quite a few cars quicker than a stage 2 plus ko4 mate that will handle well but none as new or as nice as yours

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1154304.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1342512.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1290817.htm
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1356516.htm

Nothing special mate im just a gas engineer, I live at home, and I can considerably bolster my basic annual wage through overtime weekends etc. Thats why I need to get something that will fulfill my desires fairly quickly, before I get kicked out of the nest and have to get a mortgage.

That evo is tempting, however im always dubious about how people spend so much money modifiying a car only to then sell it about 4 months later. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it.

Offline Pummy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:20 pm »
Evo 5 or an 92 plate onwards scoob with a total rebuild from the ground up.  Cheaper, quicker, lighter and mental power.  But alas that will not be enough for you after a few months of getting used to it either.  Are you after straight line or corner fun?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 09:57:30 pm »
Evo 5 or an 92 plate onwards scoob with a total rebuild from the ground up.  Cheaper, quicker, lighter and mental power.  But alas that will not be enough for you after a few months of getting used to it either.  Are you after straight line or corner fun?

Straight line and corner.

Had the k1 out tonight and it didnt feel rapid anymore, but rather just quick.  :sad1:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 09:59:26 pm »

Had the k1 out tonight and it didnt feel rapid anymore, but rather just quick.  :sad1:

A stage 2+ car isn't rapid.. (Im driving one myself now so im not having a go) It all depends what your comparing it to.. There is always going to be something faster out there anyways..

There is an easy way to make your car faster without adding any more power!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »

A stage 2+ car isn't rapid.. (Im driving one myself now so im not having a go) It all depends what your comparing it to.. There is always going to be something faster out there anyways..

There is an easy way to make your car faster without adding any more power!

Stage 2 plus is actually getting boring now.  :sad1:

Stripping isnt an option for me unless I get something else

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 10:05:48 pm »
Stage 2 plus is actually getting boring now.  :sad1:

Stripping isnt an option for me unless I get something else

Hmm.. Well do the whole car, build the engine and throw a big turbo on it.. Or stop moaning and buy something fast lol  :P

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 10:07:21 pm »
Guess its just what you get use to, the 32 still feels bloody quick to me but i think its just the 'grip and go' feeling it always gives as it doesnt feel fast once i get moving.

Is it worth spending a fortune on a porsche only to lose money and get bored with it?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 11:32:21 pm »

do you not want to try a limited slip diff and some engine mounts first,? that paired with some pilot sport cups should give you a sh*te load of traction

....Wise words! As bacillus says: Power is useless without traction (or words to that effect).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:51 pm »
Guess its just what you get use to, the 32 still feels bloody quick to me but i think its just the 'grip and go' feeling it always gives as it doesnt feel fast once i get moving.

Is it worth spending a fortune on a porsche only to lose money and get bored with it?

you have a v6 that why. they sound fast.

few years back i had a audi coupe 2.6V6, it wasnt that fast but sounded awesome instead(shame it was like tacking a yacht when cornering, lol)