Make a donation

Author Topic: clutch needed for a stage 2+ k03??  (Read 7995 times)

Offline Jay75

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: 06 plate golf gti ko3
Re: clutch needed for a stage 2+ k03??
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:04 am »
This has turned into an interesting thread and a good read, for me the hpfp on the KO3 just isn't worth it for what you get from your car at the end of it and maxing out your hardware (turbo, clutch) is not something you want to do on any car really.
It's easy to get excited about about what other members have done to their cars and what bhp  and torque figures they achieved after mapping, but a good question to ask yourself is... If this site was strictly for ko3 cars how much talk about hpfp's would there be and therefore how influenced would I be to buy one? I would personally advise anyone wanting a lot more power to get a ko4 car in the first place instead of killing your ko3, for someone who already has a hpfp ready to go on and is thinking of uprating the clutch a turbo conversion is the obvious next step, PSi Tuning do the upgrade for around £1500 with all the mapping thrown in, I think that's a great price considering what you can pay for a map alone (300 - 600 quid!)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:43:20 am by Jay75 »

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 10:40:23 am »
I have now sold my hpfp as dan_fr said his k03 is running flat out pretty much all the time and as you said it cant really be good maxing out the components, I will only go to a stage 2 for now and look at a k04 upgrade in the future I think :sad1:

Offline Jay75

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 11:14:49 am »
Good decision dude! You're still going to have a quick car at stage 2, and the money you save can go to other things, coilovers maybe? Get it looking sweeeet!   :happy2:

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 12:00:36 pm »
This has turned into an interesting thread and a good read, for me the hpfp on the KO3 just isn't worth it for what you get from your car at the end of it and maxing out your hardware (turbo, clutch) is not something you want to do on any car really.
It's easy to get excited about about what other members have done to their cars and what bhp  and torque figures they achieved after mapping, but a good question to ask yourself is... If this site was strictly for ko3 cars how much talk about hpfp's would there be and therefore how influenced would I be to buy one? I would personally advise anyone wanting a lot more power to get a ko4 car in the first place instead of killing your ko3, for someone who already has a hpfp ready to go on and is thinking of uprating the clutch a turbo conversion is the obvious next step, PSi Tuning do the upgrade for around £1500 with all the mapping thrown in, I think that's a great price considering what you can pay for a map alone (300 - 600 quid!)

I am right at this fork in the road for tuning my edition 30. At present I have a filter and a full Miltek and the appropriate stage 2 map, I got the car from a main dealer so it has a warranty, they fitted a new clutch before I bought it so the standard clutch is working fine and the car is very fast !. The next step would def be a clutch, fuel pump, interccoler, so a load of cash. I am hearing that the updrated clutches are hard to push, i know induction kits make more noise, the hpfp are heavy on the cam follower for wear. Knowing me and my need to tinker I will prob do more to it. However I have a sneaky feeling if I do I will look back and say what I have now was the sweet spot between power, mods, cost and engine wear etc etc.  :grin: :grin:

Offline Jay75

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 05:45:50 pm »

I am right at this fork in the road for tuning my edition 30. At present I have a filter and a full Miltek and the appropriate stage 2 map, I got the car from a main dealer so it has a warranty, they fitted a new clutch before I bought it so the standard clutch is working fine and the car is very fast !. The next step would def be a clutch, fuel pump, interccoler, so a load of cash. I am hearing that the updrated clutches are hard to push, i know induction kits make more noise, the hpfp are heavy on the cam follower for wear. Knowing me and my need to tinker I will prob do more to it. However I have a sneaky feeling if I do I will look back and say what I have now was the sweet spot between power, mods, cost and engine wear etc etc.  :grin: :grin:
sounds like you have a quick car already fella, over 300bhp by the sounds of it. If it was mine I would concentrate on getting it mint and looking awesome (paintwork, coilovers, sweet wheels etc) unless it already is of course! I read about ed30 cars on here being 350 bhp and above with all the hardware to make it happen and can't help but wonder.. How the heck do these guys get all that power down on the road through a front wheel drive car? especially in this country where it's wet and slimy most of the time.
The truth is a lot of the power is lost because they just can't hold the road like a rear or 4 wheel drive can. I owned a VR6 Golf for 7 years (pvw front cover April 2007) with coilovers, sports front mount, full exhaust and cold air intake and i surprised a few people with a lot more horsepower than me because I got every scrap of power I had onto the road, and it was only 200bhp!
Something to consider i think buddy.