Make a donation

Author Topic: What else do I need  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
What else do I need
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »
Just bought these from Halfords for cleaning the car. I'm wondering about the turtle wax, but it was free (3 for 2)

What else do I need? There were microfiber clothes in there but the guy said he wouldn't use them... he recommended using an old t shirt :S or cotton. Where can I find a washing mitt and a drying cloth?

If I can make do without anything else, what order should I use the products in?

Pre wash with sponge
Snowfoam
Conditioner
Turtle wax

? Just going to sponge wash the alloys as they are farked and need a refurb anwyay

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: What else do I need
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:06:59 pm »
I feel like I'm all over your questions lately! A quiet few days in work so I'm on here probably more than I should be...

What that guy said is rubbish, get good microfiber cloths! I must have 200 at this stage and every few months I wash them all in one big batch.

Start building up your collection of them. Not all are equal, go for a good quality one but expect to pay around €10 for a 5 pack maybe.

That turtle wax is proabably worthless. Get proper solid car wax. I personally recommend autoglym super hd wax. One tub will last 1 - 2 years and it costs €50. That liquid car wax will just wash off after a few downpours.

I have the demon foam and it's great stuff but you need the lance and a proper power washer to get a good thick foam!

The autoglym shampoo smells incredible but gives you no suds (not necessarily a bad thing).

I'm sure there's a few detailing places in the uk people use such as cleancar.co.uk I think

Get a microfiber drying cloth for one and a lambswool wash mitt. You're also going to need 2 buckets and a grit guard.

Don't go near your paintwork with a sponge!

Take a look at my guide - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89106.msg902491.html#msg902491

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:07 pm »
I feel like I'm all over your questions lately!

You are, I look forward to seeing your name as the person that's replied!

RE the turtle wax - oh well  - lesson learnt

I have a pressure washer but no lance! just going to have to use the hose.

Ok Ill get the buckets (where from?) and can I just get the good microfiber cloth from Halfords and use it for drying, and where do I get the lambswool was mitt? Don't want to order offline as I want to do the wash on Thursday!

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:34:46 pm »
I'd be the same in that I'd want to get all of the stuff right away and do a great job from the start but realistically I think you're better off just starting with your basic wash this Thursday and when you have another £150 to spare then get all of your detailing stuff together.

Be savy and like a few uk detailing companies on fb keeping en eye out for promo codes. That's what I ended up doing and I also just by chance bought a gift card for €200 off a guy for only €100.

Think the Karchers go on sale in B&Q fairly often and you might get one for £60.

The buckets you can get with the grit guards for around £30

Be patient and get the right stuff whilst saving money!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 03:40:10 pm »
Ok  :smiley: But even if I want to do the basic wash - I'll need the right cloths/ drying cloths, right?

Offline longbelly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:56:41 pm »
Hose off, quick bucket and sponge with any old car shampoo then chamois leather dry. Guess I'm old fashioned
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:25:22 pm by longbelly »

dansmith180

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »
Hose off, quick bucket and sponge with any old car shampoo then chamois leather dry. Guess I'm old fashioned

You're a detailers nightmare  :laugh:

Offline longbelly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 10:29:04 pm »

You're a detailers nightmare 

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:25:56 am »
Plasterers buckets can be had from Wickes or B&Q for about a fiver..they're massive
Kent Drying microfibrer towel from Homebase for about 3-4£, buy a quick detailer it'll help get rid of the waterspouts
Kent noodle wash mittx2 one for the top half one for the bottom half
DemonShine muck-off good pre-wash soak, leave for a few minutes before washing to soften up the dirt, then rinse
I'm guessing your car has never been clay bared? Get one it'll make whatever product you use a million times better and last twice as long

2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 08:30:36 am »
Ok  :smiley: But even if I want to do the basic wash - I'll need the right cloths/ drying cloths, right?

Not necessarily, use a brand new sponge your first time and go gentle and in straight lines. Wash the sponge after each stroke. It's not ideal but let's face it the last owner probably did the same the whole time so what's once more realistically!

Take it for a spin after the wash to get the majority of the water off and use a microfiber tool to finish the drying of the little bits left over.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 08:42:15 am »
Ok chees luke...once again  :happy2: RE the previous owner, I didn't think much of it before, but there's a small grey "prept" sticker on the bottom right of the hatch. You can see it just about in this picture.

I looked up prept and its a german cars only club, so he might have taken a little extra care after all!

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 09:13:16 am »
Although I'd like to agree, the headlights were faded, alloys scuffed, exhaust blackened and the paint dulled on your first photos but I'm not one to talk. Mine had half a forest inside the wheel arches and door shuts when I picked it up along with cracked internal plastics and whiteworm on everything! It was a mess. Owned by a business woman who let it sit outside her mansion and never drove it because she lived so close to town.

It's what you do with it from this point that counts. Build up your knowledge and build up your collection of tools and detailing gear and you'll have a pristine auto in no time!

I only started driving just over 2 years ago I think. Never had an interest in cars before then (mainly because I couldn't afford one). I picked up a lot of knowledge on this forum and just be generally tinkering with the car. Do things yourself and use garages as your second choice and you'll gain a better understanding of your car!

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 09:26:23 am »
Although I'd like to agree, the headlights were faded, alloys scuffed, exhaust blackened and the paint dulled on your first photos but I'm not one to talk.

Haha very true!

Yup, I'm going to attempt the DV this weekend -eek