Make a donation

Author Topic: FAO PC Gurus! HTPC Options?  (Read 974 times)

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
FAO PC Gurus! HTPC Options?
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:24:09 am »
Hi guys,
I am an absolute novice when it comes to PC's however I want to build a low cost PC to use for watching movies and downloading, and as back up storage for our phone photos videos etc.
However I would like it to be reasonably quick and reliable. Case wise I'm going for a small one as it will be in the living room and don't want it to look like an piece of office equipment!
So I'm looking for thoughts, opinions and suggestions, these are some choices I have made so far:

Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz Dual Core (Socket 1150)
Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 S1150 H81/DVI-HDMI-DP/USB3/µATX
Crucial - 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory x2.
AvP Gladius CA32 Black HTPC Case
Hard drive wise, I am considering 2 HDDs, possibly 1x SSD and a 1TB HDD

Thanks!

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: FAO PC Gurus! HTPC Options?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:58:31 pm »
If you're not too worried about an upgrade path you could look into an AMD APU which combines CPU/GPU. In this scenario the fastest memory possible (2133 mhz +) will be best since it will be shared. It also saves you space but doesn't stop you adding a discrete card later on.

AMD trails Intel in the performance stakes in most like for like situations but you can usually build something to meet your requirements.

HDD - cant go wrong with SSD/and HDD - Crucial also do SSD's and WD Black mechanical drives get good reviews and come with a 5 year warranty.

Case - Defo research this area...you want something that's easy to work with/decent air flow and noise would be consideration on HTPC too. What you choose will depend on what size Mobo you select.

Have you got a PSU lined up?
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:52:12 pm »
PSU wise most these cases offer PSU included, this one includes a 450w which I thought would be sufficient. Good point regarding airflow in the case I will have to look further into that.

Regarding the CPU I have limited knowledge in this area in particular with APU. I mainly looked at CCL Online and tried to find what seem to me good spec components for my application at a reasonable cost. I'm really looking for suggestions and opinions on my choices. Can I get better value for money etc...

Thanks,

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 04:28:27 pm »
Well it depends what PSU they put in it, might be el cheapo components...don't skimp on power source.

As for comparisons sites like CPU boss will run a head to head between different processors.

It all comes down to budget, what is max spend?

MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:21:51 pm »
Up to 200... To get me going and then upgrade later ie ssd secondary hard drive...