Make a donation

Author Topic: Revs Slow to drop  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Vanstring

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Revs Slow to drop
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:37:19 pm »
I recently picked up a manual GTI and notice the revs are noticeably slow to drop when up to operating temp. Its a conscious effort to allow the revs to drop adequately for a smooth gear change, particularly when driving spiritedly. Otherwise the engagement of the clutch is what forces the revs to drop resulting in a jerky shift.

Reading elsewhere suggests it may be down to a dodgy clutch switch but my cruise control still works (which is typically the symtom indicating such a fault).

Anybody any the wiser?
Any help on the matter would great! :happy2:

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
Re: Revs Slow to drop
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:37:25 pm »
Vagcom  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:24:35 am »
I've noticed with mine after two days of ownership :grin: that if you lift off the throttle at say 3000/4000rpm the revs seem to 'hold' for maybe half a second, as if the throttle body is sticking open or something. I haven't noticed it much at all, maybe once or twice.

It's going to VW tomorrow anyway for a belt and service, they're also getting it plugged in so if any relevant codes come up I'll post them.

It could be a total different issue to yours Vanstring, but it may be helpful to know of similar things to help you eliminate them and track down your issue.

Best of luck with it.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:25:41 am »
Get it on VCDS and check the clutch switch is working correctly
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Vanstring

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:23:20 pm »

I've noticed with mine after two days of ownership :grin: that if you lift off the throttle at say 3000/4000rpm the revs seem to 'hold' for maybe half a second, as if the throttle body is sticking open or something. I haven't noticed it much at all, maybe once or twice.

It's going to VW tomorrow anyway for a belt and service, they're also getting it plugged in so if any relevant codes come up I'll post them.

It could be a total different issue to yours Vanstring, but it may be helpful to know of similar things to help you eliminate them and track down your issue.

Best of luck with it.
That's exactly what I'm experiencing. As it happens I have the car in with my mechanic getting the belt done at the moment as well. Also mentioned about the revs holding slightly so hopefully he'll be able to diagnose it.
Let me know what Vw make of yours anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vanstring

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 08:24:36 pm »

Get it on VCDS and check the clutch switch is working correctly
Thanks Dan, that's definitely the next port of call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:53:17 pm »
Called in at VW today to pick up a courtesy car as they're replacing a caliper on the GTI.

Nothing to note on the diagnostics front I'm afraid Vanstring. Mine does drive really well, and very very rarely exhibits this 'holding' characteristic..

I fully intend to replace the usual bits anyway (dv, pcv etc), as I know there can often be a hardware issue that the ECU can't/doesn't pick up.

Best of luck with yours anyway, fingers crossed you get it sorted.

If it makes you feel any better I'm driving around in an Up! for a few days....! Hehe