Make a donation

Author Topic: Member from East London  (Read 2243 times)

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
Member from East London
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »
Hello, been a member on here for a while, just gathering some ideas up for when I do get a Golf. I currently don't drive anything yet as I'm only 16, but I am keen on getting a Golf GTI Mk5 when I pass...

However i'm worried the insurance may be too high for when I pass when I'm 17... Does anyone know how much the insurance will be roughly for a new driver at 17?

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Member from East London
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »
Hello mate, Im also in East London.

Cant really put an exact figure but it will be a lot due to a mk5 GTI being a high insurance group, your age, time you gave held your license and also depending on where your car is kept overnight. From my experience, east london postcodes have high insurance premiums.

Best thing is to go on compare websites and have a look on there.

Good luck

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 03:55:14 pm »
Hello mate, Im also in East London.

Cant really put an exact figure but it will be a lot due to a mk5 GTI being a high insurance group, your age, time you gave held your license and also depending on where your car is kept overnight. From my experience, east london postcodes have high insurance premiums.

Best thing is to go on compare websites and have a look on there.

Good luck

What area in East London are you from? I've just seen your thread, I think I've seen the car around... Looks good!
And yeah thanks I think I'll look into it.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:03:31 pm »
Thanks man  :happy2:

Im in Walthamstow / Leyton area. There are some insurance companies on this site too so may be worth PM'ing them at some point for some help/advice

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:08:03 pm »
Hate to put a bad spin on it but you may not be eligible for insurance at all.

I had my licence 1 year at the age of 22 and not one insurer in Ireland would give me a quote. Long story short, I got insured due to a lot of look and perseverance.

If you do get an insurer on say a low spec GTI in the 5K region your insurance could cost just as much.... You might have to bite the bullet as I did and drive something with a smaller engine in the meantime I'm afraid.

Or put a kit on a base model golf  :signLOL:

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »
i live in leyton too
Regards,

Mike

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 01:23:36 pm »
Hate to put a bad spin on it but you may not be eligible for insurance at all.

I had my licence 1 year at the age of 22 and not one insurer in Ireland would give me a quote. Long story short, I got insured due to a lot of look and perseverance.

If you do get an insurer on say a low spec GTI in the 5K region your insurance could cost just as much.... You might have to bite the bullet as I did and drive something with a smaller engine in the meantime I'm afraid.

Or put a kit on a base model golf  :signLOL:

Oh that's bad! I've been dreaming of getting that car since the age of 14 lol! What if I put my 39 year old brother (I know that's old lol) as first driver and me as a second, would that work?

Or do you think the 1.4 or 1.6 GT TDI/TSI would be suitable? I wouldn't mind one of those either...

And thanks for the reply, that's valuable information for me lol

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 01:24:18 pm »
Thanks man  :happy2:

Im in Walthamstow / Leyton area. There are some insurance companies on this site too so may be worth PM'ing them at some point for some help/advice

Yeah I'm sure I've seen it in those areas, I'm from Bethnal Green :)

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 07:36:18 pm »
Honestly I don't want to shoot your dreams down but I think a 1.4L golf would keep you plenty happy for now. There's also a load of them out there that have full Gti kits already so it's one step closer.

Get some experience, save up and get the GTI in a few years.

I'd also recommend getting your own policy, I wouldn't be a fan of this name driver thing that all of my friends growing up would have done. Yes it's cheaper in the sort term but it'll be cheaper down the line when you can say you've held your own policy for x amount of years. There's also more of a sense of independence from it!!

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 12:47:54 am »
Honestly I don't want to shoot your dreams down but I think a 1.4L golf would keep you plenty happy for now. There's also a load of them out there that have full Gti kits already so it's one step closer.

Get some experience, save up and get the GTI in a few years.

I'd also recommend getting your own policy, I wouldn't be a fan of this name driver thing that all of my friends growing up would have done. Yes it's cheaper in the sort term but it'll be cheaper down the line when you can say you've held your own policy for x amount of years. There's also more of a sense of independence from it!!

Lol to be honest I wouldn't even mind a 1.4... As long as it's clean throughout and well looked after. I plan to make it an air ride and remap it to stage one maybe. lol its all planned out in my head...

And thats the no claims you're talking about?

Offline imraan Ed30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:20:24 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 12:27:36 pm »
That's it yeah. Maybe look it up but from my personal experience two good friends went out on policies with their parents and when they eventually got their own policies they're no claims were negligible.

It could have just been the policy they were on though. I do recall filling in a quote with one company that asked if I had built up my no claims on my own policy or as a name driver.

Also in theory you're breaking the law right. As a name driver it means your brother would have to be the dominant driver.
I.e. He can't just put his name down on the car to make your insurance cheaper.

Your insurance could be void if you did get into trouble.

Maybe just check it all out before you jump at anything!!

Good luck though and enjoy the car!!

Offline Blackgtiman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 11:01:51 pm »
welcome

Offline hshofique

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 04:22:14 pm »
That's it yeah. Maybe look it up but from my personal experience two good friends went out on policies with their parents and when they eventually got their own policies they're no claims were negligible.

It could have just been the policy they were on though. I do recall filling in a quote with one company that asked if I had built up my no claims on my own policy or as a name driver.

Also in theory you're breaking the law right. As a name driver it means your brother would have to be the dominant driver.
I.e. He can't just put his name down on the car to make your insurance cheaper.

Your insurance could be void if you did get into trouble.

Maybe just check it all out before you jump at anything!!

Good luck though and enjoy the car!!

Thank you very much for your help! I guess I'll stick to an insurance of my own if it is that way.