Make a donation

Author Topic: Just had a helix clutch fitted got a few questions....  (Read 5630 times)

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Just had a helix clutch fitted got a few questions....
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:44:47 pm »
So Iv got my new helix clutch and dmf fitted and boy does it bite! I know it's a new clutch but im finding it hard to pull off in first! To add to that it seems to judder a lot in first, would this be down to being new and needing to get used to the feel of it and being uprated?

The pedal is definiatly heavier and there is about an inch of play at top where it's nice and light then gets quite abit heavier not like before where it was same feel through out the clutch pedal...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:48:27 pm by TaylorGTi »
R-tech Stage 2+ Pirelli Gti

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Just had a helix clutch fitted got a few questions....
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »
You'll get used to it. Mine juddered a lot to begin with for the first few hundred miles but now it doesn't judder at all.
The top inch of pedal play has no clutch engagement, then when you actually press the pedal down mine does get a little harder to push down the further down you go.
Helix 6 paddle with bleed valve/return restrictor removal on mine.
You'll get used to it... driving anything else is annoying now because I like the instant clutch engagement and disengagement.

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:03:13 pm »
Yeah it feels different, Iv got a bit of driving to do in next week around town so hopefully it'll smooth out! I just thought organic clutches are mean be very oem?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:30:52 pm »
Will soften up soon and the bite will feel just like OEM, but more consistent
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:19 pm »
I hated it at first but a few week you'll start to like it.

Sore on the ankle in traffic though haha.

Offline Stu08

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:54:09 pm »
Perfectly normal. Had the exact same clutch and DMF fitted to my vRS. It behaves exactly as you describe.

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:33:56 pm »
So I live on a super hilly area (Torquay) and I came to do a hill start earlier and stalled... The bite seems like such a small window if you get my drift... It just wanted to judder forward. Surely this isn't right or is it needing a bit of time to bed in?

Offline Stu08

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
Again, mines the exact same bud. Needs around 500 miles before it'll be running optimally.

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:31:42 pm »
Can this judder cause damage to the car cause it feels pretty violent in slow moving traffic and doing hill starts!  :ashamed:

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 09:04:47 pm »
Can this judder cause damage to the car cause it feels pretty violent in slow moving traffic and doing hill starts!  :ashamed:

Doubt it will do the car any good!
Happy to have read this thread though - absolutely convinced me to replace my clutch with a standard item when it goes!
Bet these uprated clutches are brilliant on the track and fast road but sound bloody awful for normal stop start traffic
But hey mine isnt mapped (yet) and both the clutch and flywheel are nearly 170k old and both tight as drum!
So hopefully I wont need to find the grand to replace them just yet!

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:59:31 pm »

Happy to have read this thread though - absolutely convinced me to replace my clutch with a standard item when it goes!
Bet these uprated clutches are brilliant on the track and fast road but sound bloody awful for normal stop start traffic
But hey mine isnt mapped (yet) and both the clutch and flywheel are nearly 170k old and both tight as drum!

Nahhh the Helix is great. Once bedded in after 500 miles the bite is better than the stock clutch, the pedal is a little heavier but you soon get used to it and it just feels normal.

The stock clutches can't handle much torque, you would have to get a very gentle map to preserve the stock clutch if & when you get a map  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 10:38:10 pm »

@StuF

If you do decide to have your car tuned (to any degree) you may need a uprated clutch to deal with the extra torque. Get yourself in a car with an uprated clutch and you'll be surpiresed just how good they are.

Ive had my Helix for well over a year and right from day one it's felt great, really does inspire so much more confidence when pressing on the loud pedal. No it's not a spongy OEM peddle feel but is happy as Larry pottering around town in heavy traffic, which mine does 95% of the time.

If your in the South I'll happily take you out in the Mistress.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:01:05 am by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 10:48:24 pm »
I'm more coming to the conclusion that something's not right... Top of the pedal is flappy like its not doing anything. Next to impossible to drive in heavy traffic, driving me mad as product comes so highly recommended from so many people. I'm guna give Alex a call tomorrow and see what he thinks!

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:06:41 am »

@StuF

If you do decide to have your car tuned (to any degree) you may need a uprated clutch to deal with the extra torque. Get yourself in a car with an uprated clutch and you'll be surpiresed just how good they are.

Ive had my Helix for well over a year and right from day one it's felt great, really does inspire so much more confidence when pressing on the loud pedal. No it's not a spongy OEM peddle feel but is happy as Larry pottering around town in heavy traffic, which mine does 95% of the time.

If your in the South I'll happily take you out in the Mistress.

:happy2:

Cheers for the offer  :happy2: - if it a case of 500 miles and the clutch is bedded in I will consider it if and when I replace my OG one!
Sounds like TaylorGTI might have a separate issue!

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:32 am »
I'm more coming to the conclusion that something's not right... Top of the pedal is flappy like its not doing anything. Next to impossible to drive in heavy traffic, driving me mad as product comes so highly recommended from so many people. I'm guna give Alex a call tomorrow and see what he thinks!

Sounds like it needs bleeding again. Shouldn't be floppy, but springy at the top.

Where was it fitted?
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook