Make a donation

Author Topic: Steel Grey 07 GTi  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Steel Grey 07 GTi
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:07 pm »
Due to work beginning on our new build house after Easter, I had to make some sacrifices and a reduction in car was the obvious place to free up some £. I'd originally been considering an A4 Quattro as a replacement, but kept coming back to the GTi. I absolutely loved my last one, so knew it would be a wise choice.

I picked this up a couple of days after the A8 went. 07 with 64k. Half the price of the A8 but twice the car! There are a few dents and needs a bit of paint here and there, but the history and how it drove sold it for me. The rest can be sorted in time.

Sadly it had an absolutely woeful spec, so I've been busy over the last couple of weeks gathering up parts for it. So far I've fitted a DAB RNS unit, can gateway, VW bluetooth, MDI and DAB aerial from a Polo. I also have cruise to go in, and a multi function wheel is due tomorrow. Thanks to those who have helped and advised so far too.

Future plans include R32 highline cluster, armrest, Mk6 optical rear parking sensors, Ed30 rear lights and tidy the bodywork. I was going to go for Monza IIs but toying with the idea of keeping the 17's and painting them.

Heres my first GTi from back in 2010, and what I've been in since;

I was then moved back out onto site doing 200 miles a day so got this for a year;

Then before baby number 1 came I thought I needed to get something silly out of my system;

Then baby arrived and I had to be "sensible";

And heres the new one where we are today;

And the RNS fitted;

I'll update as I go over the next few weeks. Nothing ground breaking or different from every other GTi on here, but I'm too old for anything too extreme these days!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:57:39 pm by Lyons »

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
Re: Steel Grey 07 GTi
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:35:15 pm »
Looking good so far Lyons!

Offline Wayne D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 7
  • MKV GTI Pirelli
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:40:54 pm »
Looking good Lyons! I'd forgot you owned the TT.

Future plans will make it perfect. I would try tinting the rear lights yourself to make them look like Ed30/R32 lights. If it all goes wrong I've a spare standard red set in the garage for you. Lol

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:11:46 am »
Only just noticed this, cheers Wayne. I'd seen a thread on here about it, but getting the time to do something like that is near impossible and the chances would be extremely high of me messing it up!

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:39 am »
Progress has been slow over the last few months, getting time to do anything with 2 kids is proving difficult!

I got the front arches and sills painted under warranty and also had a couple of other small areas done when it was in. I fitted Ed30 lights, open fogs and red GTi badges;

I also got the wheels refurbished, but they'll be for sale in a couple of weeks when I get the winter wheels on;

I fitted the sensors and wiring from the OPS, it's due to get connected up on Friday. It's also going in for a service at the weekend and will get the Eibachs fitted too. Then winter wheels will be going on when I get them back from a refurb and tyres bought. Mk6 climate and R32 Highline will happen when I find the time!

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:00:11 am »
Great work! Love it when a plan comes together  :party:

Ed 30 lights go a long way to improving the back in my opinion. Makes the GTI look like a GTI.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:28:17 am »
Thanks Ross. Looking at my black GTi I wish I'd put them on it too.

The car doesn't really look too different to every other GTi at the minute but hopefully the springs and wheels will be an improvement.

Offline Reflex

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 01:17:11 pm »
The car looks fantastic as it is to me!

Do you mind if I ask where abouts you got the R32/Ed 30 rear lights from? And how was the fitment? I've heard of there being slight differences depending on the year of the car (mine is an 07 like yours).

Thanks!

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 01:50:51 pm »
How are the wing mirrors?  :P

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:56 am »
The car looks fantastic as it is to me!

Do you mind if I ask where abouts you got the R32/Ed 30 rear lights from? And how was the fitment? I've heard of there being slight differences depending on the year of the car (mine is an 07 like yours).

Thanks!

The outers are from Euro Car Parts. I DIYed the inners but they aren't great so I've ordered a set from eBay. Will be £140 in total for the set.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 06:01:37 am »
How are the wing mirrors?  :P

Ask me again in a week  :P

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 09:33:56 pm »
It's been a busy few months but finally got some updates.

I got the Eibachs fitted along with new front dampers and top mounts. Perfect drop for me. They were pretty hard the first few days but luckily softened and are close to original now.
Also got serviced with new plugs when it was in.

I was never a fan of Karthoums until recently. Then someone local had these cheap so I picked them up and got them painted BMW Ferric Grey along with a set of Hankook Ice Bears. I still prefer Monza IIs, but I'm a big fan of these now too, especially as I'm not aware of another set! They'll do well for winter.

I DIYed the boot lid lights to achieve the R32 look previously, but it didn't last and they started misting up. I bought a set of genuine new inners on eBay for £60 delivered from Latvia, and swapped the clear lens with my existing set so now both sides are clear. I am just waiting for a red fog light bulb to arrive.

I picked up a new steering wheel from a late 09 Mk5 with under 20k miles, so there is zero wear on it. Big improvement over the last which was a bit shiney.

I'd fitted Mk6 parking sensors to the rear bumper months ago but never got them wired up. Finally got round to getting them wired up last week.

I also fitted a Mk6 climate panel to lose the nasty blue temperature displays.

I also gave the calipers and hubs a coat of paint. Also fitted a new passenger mirror and got them painted black.

I'm absolutely delighted with how it sits to be honest, it's the first time I've been 100% happy with any of my cars.

All I have left to do is get the highline clocks fitted (proving horrendously difficult) and then get the other wheels ready for the good weather in the new year.