Make a donation

Author Topic: Recommend a Wheel Cleaner?  (Read 4842 times)

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Recommend a Wheel Cleaner?
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:13:41 pm »
So, just cleaned the misses Mini Cooper S and her alloys have started to get that yellowy kind of marking in some areas along with some tar.

What's the best product for getting these wheels back to the way they were originally?  Years and years ago I remember using wonder wheels to clean alloys but can't remember if it was any good!?

Thanks.  :drinking:

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Recommend a Wheel Cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:45:26 pm »
Wonder wheels hot wheels from Halfords.
tardis for tar removal.
Other options are bilberry and then use iron x. Meguiars wheel brightner, a.s smart wheels, etc.

Plenty of options out there..

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:40:41 am »
Cheers Jay, will buy some of the stuff recommended and see how I get on.   :happy2:

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:48:02 pm »
CarPro TRIX  :happy2:

Offline Stu08

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:16:21 am »
Wonder Wheels is a very good cleaner; also very strong! Once you've got them up to scratch; apply a wheel sealant to provide a protective barrier from brake dust, then all you'll need is a mild car shampoo solution to keep them clean.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:44:18 am »
Wonder Wheels is a very good cleaner; also very strong! Once you've got them up to scratch; apply a wheel sealant to provide a protective barrier from brake dust, then all you'll need is a mild car shampoo solution to keep them clean.

Not safe of polished, chrome, anodized, or diamond cut

Offline Andy-GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:22:07 pm »

Not safe of polished, chrome, anodized, or diamond cut

Any suggestion for a wheel cleaner safe for my Diamond cut Monza's ? New to diamond cut alloys so don't fancy spraying anything which will damage them

On normal alloys I've used Sonax Wheel cleaner and Wonder wheels, both really good. Sealed with Chemical guys wheel guard.

:happy2:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:29 pm »
Once protected usually decent shampoo and water will get them clean. Plenty of ph neutral wheel cleaners out there.
iron x helps remoce stubborn build up but it is not a wheel cleaner really.

Offline duncatr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 01:57:00 pm »
I hate to give you the bad news but the truth is nothing is going to stop damage occuring to the diamond cut face. At some point you will get the "worming" damage.
May take a year, may take 3, but it will happen in 99 out of 100 cases.

The best thing you can do is fully clean them now, polish and seal them and they set aside time for regular cleaning - once a week with a ph balanced cleaner. Loads of them out there but a favourite of mine for sensible money is 3M.
And then properly clean them again every 3 months (tardis to remove tar, iron x and soft clay to remove as much contamination as possible) then re-polish and seal.
A little tip - Gyeon clay is chemical resistant so that it can be used with their iron x. Most Iron x products destroy clay so they cant be done in one step but theirs is very good.
The iron x acts as a lubricant for the clay, removing a step in the decontamination process and making it very easy to see what the clay has not picked up.

Its a real problem trying to keep diamond cut looking new. To the point where most people end up powder coating to a very bright hypre silver instead.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:05:04 pm by duncatr »

Offline Rhino

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:00:21 pm »
so you wouldnt reccommend iron x for cleaning alloys?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 02:31:30 pm »
Iron X is fine to clean alloys with. Infact it's one of the safest things out there.
But it's not a wheel cleaner per se.

Offline Jones90

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • My Ride: VW Golf MK5 GTI
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 12:47:44 am »
I use ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner. Works great, spary on wash off. Smells so nice to. Pleasure to use

Offline GTI-Rog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 7
    • facebook.com/FreemanDetailing
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95428.0.html
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 07:07:21 am »
All the above are very good suggestions ^^ (apart from wonder wheels maybe, a bit too strong/harsh...although good for the first deep clean and is safe enough if used correctly)

I use Autosmart Smart Wheels non acidic wheel cleaner. This can be diluted 10:1 and is very effective and very safe on all alloys. You can easily find 0.5Ltr -5Ltr bottles on eBay.

The fallout remover I would recommend is Valet Pro Dragons Breath, it stinks like the name suggests, but is thicker than Iron X, so works longer on the wheel, I find. It is so good, you almost don't need to use AS Smart wheels first! Then AS Tardis to follow.

Once fully clean, clay, polish and seal with a decent wheel Teflon sealant/glass coating. (Poorboys, Gtechnic C5, Wolfs Chemicals Rim Guard....there are many to choose from) Then maintain after.

Then drive it! :driver: :laugh:

:happy2:
|Ramair Panel Filter|Diamond Black Magic Mk5 Golf GTI OEM+|ED30 rear valance|Monza II 18's|Rev G DV|
Banner 1 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr
|Audi S4 B6 4.2 V8..gone|A3 TFSI Q S line..gone|Gone: Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG S line|Gone..VW Corrado VR6|

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 02:07:03 pm »
Smart wheels is high alkaline so be careful on polished / anodized wheels.
Used to use it all the time and it's good day to day.

4ndy

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 05:57:50 pm »
I used to use wonder wheels because I only cleaned the wheels once a year   Its very good at what it does but not to be used if you have any signs of kerbing or flaking paint etc It gets to the metal and buggers it up.  I now clean the wheels one a month using the vw own labelled stuff (who makes this?) which is very good on my CHs  Applying a couple of coats of wax make it easier to remove crap next time  Never used a brush just soft cloths and ALWAYS wear gloves WW will make your hands white which cant be good