Make a donation

Author Topic: pannel filter  (Read 1799 times)

Offline GTI Dave 30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
pannel filter
« on: April 11, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »
Had my pipercross air filter in for year and half decided to clean with air line no air came through even though it was clean tried my oem paper one could feel air blast straight away . went straight out and put new oem one in blocked the hole at the front of oem intake so all air goes straight to filter were normally goes straight through in engine bay.the car pulls better at low speed payed £40 to starve my car of air . pipes at back always oiled up prob runing rich anyone else found this.was goin to get a £350 intake but all the research shows just noise and no power gain my car is edtion 30 stage 1.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:21:05 pm by GTI Dave 30 »

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
Re: pannel filter
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 05:40:58 pm »
Lost me on that one mate!
Blocked front pipe up????
Pipe at back always oiled up?

Only one inlet into standard engine cover/intake and thats behind the front grill/bumper, surely you not blocked that off!

Pictures could be better!

Agree though, never had much luck with aftermarket intakes so sticking to the oe one on my Gti, mann paper filter changed annually
 :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline GTI Dave 30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:36:22 pm »
Lost me on that one mate!
Blocked front pipe up????
Pipe at back always oiled up?

Only one inlet into standard engine cover/intake and thats behind the front grill/bumper, surely you not blocked that off!

Pictures could be better!

Agree though, never had much luck with aftermarket intakes so sticking to the oe one on my Gti, mann paper filter changed annually
 :happy2:

Here's a link to the picture:
http://imgur.com/gallery/7e33HR4/new

The red arrow shows where i welded the plastic to block the giant gap where air was able to escape into the engine bay. The circle around the holes are what i put in so any water which came in could drain out. I think this will make my engine more efficient as air isn't escaping.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:54:46 pm »
Ahh yes see what you mean now
Looks like a good idea but just little worried about water ingress!
Another way would be to wedge a piece of sturdy foam in the gap from rear then drill a couple drain holes in  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline GTI Dave 30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:39:26 pm »
You could wedge my pipercross filter in that would block the hole then no air would escape

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:28:46 pm »
Don't block the hole, leave it the way it was designed. Any gains will be a placebo and as already mentioned the risk of water ingress is heightened. Look up hydrolock if you're not aware already.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:34:19 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 09:43:57 pm »
Had my pipercross air filter in for year and half decided to clean with air line no air came through even though it was clean tried my oem paper one could feel air blast straight away . went straight out and put new oem one in blocked the hole at the front of oem intake so all air goes straight to filter were normally goes straight through in engine bay.the car pulls better at low speed payed £40 to starve my car of air . pipes at back always oiled up prob runing rich anyone else found this.was goin to get a £350 intake but all the research shows just noise and no power gain my car is edtion 30 stage 1.
Stage 1 doesn't require an intake. Although some with a good quality map demonstrate a power increase. Having said that, numbers are not everything. High bhp cars aren't always nice to drive if the dynamics are messed up. And others are when they're done right. Stage 1 with a completely standard intake should be a really nice drive at 270'ish bhp.

Offline GTI Dave 30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 09:52:01 pm »
carbonio filters are designed just the same with all air from front going in just flash carbon fiber and £200 and the don't seem to suffer from water intake

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 10:55:17 pm »
Intakes are a marketing departments dream. Intake air on a forced induction car gets heated by the turbo charger. The intercooler cools the air just prior to combustion. Naturally aspirated engines benefit directly from CAI's. Intakes do allow a higher volume of air in which is good if your tuning and additional hardware can make correct use of it.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:39 pm »
carbonio filters are designed just the same with all air from front going in just flash carbon fiber and £200 and the don't seem to suffer from water intake
This issue is likely to occur in flood water or crossing a ford. These cars are made to be safe in all climates. Granted we may rarely see these extremes in the UK. Because Carbonio don't provide for this phenomenon doesn't mean that it can't happen. It's physics, if you're engine takes enough in it will happen. It won't of course happen in a heavy shower.  :signLOL: