Make a donation

Poll

When buying a car, do you prefer bog standard or modded?

Modded
5 (9.1%)
Bog Standard
38 (69.1%)
Not bothered
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Just thinking about an ECU remap  (Read 29599 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Just thinking about an ECU remap
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2016, 08:38:23 am »
I really appreciate that mate. What I might do if you don't mind, is pop up some time to see it in the flesh and then make a decision. I can then either take it off you straight away or let you know it's not for me, so you're not waiting around for me.

Let me know what day is good for you (preferably one weekend) and I'll nip up some time.

PS - my clutch is holding up fine for the time being. I don't really fancy forking out for a new clutch just yet!
Yeah that's fine mate, I'll pm you soon and let you know when's good.

I'll just have to see how I go with the clutch, some seem bulletproof while others struggle up towards 350lb/ft. Fingers crossed.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2016, 08:49:01 pm »
So, after several months of driving around, the car feels like it's losing power again! I took it for a good long blast today and instead of feeling like a 273bhp monster, it now feels like the standard 197bhp again!

The last time this happened I changed the air flow sensor and the DV and that seemed to cure the problem. Not too sure what it could be this time.

Any ideas anyone?
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2016, 04:51:59 pm »
So, after several months of driving around, the car feels like it's losing power again! I took it for a good long blast today and instead of feeling like a 273bhp monster, it now feels like the standard 197bhp again!

The last time this happened I changed the air flow sensor and the DV and that seemed to cure the problem. Not too sure what it could be this time.

Any ideas anyone?
I suppose it's possible the 'new' dv is split? I'm sure someone else on here said he went through 3 rev Gs in a year!

I'm starting to wonder whether the revised GFB DV+ might be a better long term solution for 2/2+ cars.

You might be losing a bit of power in the warmer weather, but nothing like 70 odd bhp.

Hope you sort it mate.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2016, 04:56:40 pm »
Thanks as always Andy. Looks like I might have to go down this route - don't want to constantly be changing Rev G DVs every few months! That's just going to annoy me and can be costly in the long-run.

Are the GFB's a good long-term solution? Where's the best place to get them from and I need help with fitting instructions? Who else has done this and what's your thoughts?

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2016, 05:39:39 pm »
Thanks as always Andy. Looks like I might have to go down this route - don't want to constantly be changing Rev G DVs every few months! That's just going to annoy me and can be costly in the long-run.

Are the GFB's a good long-term solution? Where's the best place to get them from and I need help with fitting instructions? Who else has done this and what's your thoughts?
Well I don't know too much about them, but this is what I do know. The original design didn't fare well. There were (are?) also copies of the valve knocking about that wouldn't have done the brand any good at the time. GFB took a bit of a slating, but apparently took on board this feedback and revised the valve. Most, if not all accounts of the revised valve on here at least are positive.

There is an info sheet from GFB regarding the issues and subsequent revision on here somewhere.

I did hear that Niki was testing the new design, but didn't hear much else. I have heard that he didn't like to map cars with a Forge dv - whether the older GFB valve was one he also shunned I couldn't tell you.

However, I will ask him about this when I see him in a few weeks and let you know what he thinks to the newer design.

Also if anyone else has any info regarding the GFB DV+ revision, please chip in or post a link!

In the meantime I'd advise giving your rev G a look over, check it for splits, and get a scan done to see if it's logged any error codes. Probably better to see where you stand before you start buying new bits, it could be that the dv is fine and the power loss is caused by something else.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2016, 08:49:20 pm »
I'll wait for your comments when you have been down to R-Tech and spoken to Niki, would like to hear his opinion on the matter.

Coincidentally I drove the car yesterday and it was behaving much better - still doesn't help as to what the issue could be. It is still not up to it's full potential though.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2016, 09:43:18 pm »
No worries mate, will update you.

Mine used to feel a bit inconsistent at times, but not massively. If anything, since fitting the Powervalve it's been strong and consistent every day. Not sure why. Maybe the lower EGTs let the ECU deliver full boost more of the time. That's guesswork though, and you have the same exhaust anyway!