Make a donation

Poll

When buying a car, do you prefer bog standard or modded?

Modded
5 (9.1%)
Bog Standard
38 (69.1%)
Not bothered
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Just thinking about an ECU remap  (Read 29606 times)

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
Re: Just thinking about an ECU remap
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
Brilliant results!
I bet you're well pleased with that. Feels like a different car right?
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2015, 07:11:45 am »
Yep, very pleased. I've had remaps on a few other cars, and I'd say the mk5 has responded the best out of the lot. Testament to R-Tech and testament to the car.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2015, 08:48:41 pm »
I've never had a remap on any previous car but love this one with the map. Apart from the minor issues I had and ironed out, this car is now awesome. I wouldn't want mental power from a GTI and I believe this is enough power coming from the car. Smooth power delivery in all the rev range in all the gears.

Only ever experienced a friends mk4 TDI in the past which was mapped and that was awesome. I think he did a tonne of other stuff to it too and it was like 300bhp and with some silly torque figures (those TDIs were torquey anyway!).

Keep us posted if you decide to do anything else to it. I'm leaving mine alone for a while now......

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2015, 10:14:26 pm »
Incidentally mine now feels like a mapped tdi at low revs - foot down at 60mph in 6th and the torque really pulls you along effortlessly - nothing like the standard car.

I think that's what I like the most, being able to pick up speed so easily at low to mid revs, not having to bang through the box and ask lots of the engine to make progress. It's got that muscular feel from way down at 2500rpm, probably helped by the smaller k03, but also unquestionably a really good map. Of course where the diesels give up, at around 4000rpm, it really gets rapid. Going through the gears to peak power at around 6k is just so addictive, but still smooth and refined. Things sound angrier with the map, even with standard hardware. And when it's time to be sensible it goes back to its quiet, best behaviour, as if it never just hurled you down that A-road screaming its head off. 

It didn't quite manage that without the map, didn't have quite enough torque and urgency to induce the post-roundabout grin that a properly quick car can.

With a good upgrade to the brakes (I'm looking at TTRS), and a couple of minor suspension tweaks, I'll be more than happy with my 'new' GTI..

That wouldn't be the case without the map. Brilliant stuff.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:32:55 pm by AJP »

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2015, 11:42:00 pm »
Reading this making me wanting to  get off from the 'stock standard' ship and join the stage 1 gang too..decisions decisions..

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:49 am »
I'm really tempted too, but I'm worried about having to replace the clutch with all the extra bhp and torque the remap will give me.

Anybody got any experience of this?

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2015, 09:27:49 am »
A stage 1 map with just a panel air filter will do the trick (like mine). The clutch doesn't slip and hopefully doesn't need replacing. To be honest that was one of my biggest worries too pre-map (changing the clutch). The standard car with a stage 1 map is all the car needs.

If I started to fiddle with more hardware and stage 2 map, then I'd have to change clutch/brakes/suspension etc.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 06:18:48 pm »
I'm really tempted too, but I'm worried about having to replace the clutch with all the extra bhp and torque the remap will give me.

Anybody got any experience of this?
It's logical that a clutch dealing with 70lb/ft more torque will have a harder time, and therefore in theory have a shorter life.

However, the biggest factor by far is what you do with your right foot. I mentioned how at 2500rpm and WOT the turbo spools hard and the torque really picks up. Well... as fun as it is, this is a good way to wear out a clutch prematurely.

In an ideal world, you'd gently feed the throttle in, til you were past peak torque (rather low at 2422rpm in my case) reaching WOT at say 4000rpm. This avoids putting a sudden 'shock' into the clutch.

I'd bet that going full chat, changing at peak power actually puts less wear into the clutch than doing the 'low revs, foot down, wait for the turbo' thing. As fun as it is.

Obviously the DSG cars don't have that problem; they can take big torque all day long. I did consider a DSG car, but settled for manual as I wasn't keen on the cost of DSG failure, which is reported frequently enough for me to think twice.

Bottom line is that even a stock car driven unwisely can wear out a clutch quicker than a mapped car driven with a bit of thought.

There are so many reasons for getting a remap. And so few against. Insurance, for example, increased by just 60 quid for me on a modified policy with Adrian Flux. That and the 290 for the map at R-Tech - how could you possibly go wrong for 350 notes?! It's brought the car up a league, for little outlay.

Anyone thinking 'should I?' Seriously, do it.

And just a quick edit to note - please do tell your insurers. Get a quote before you book in for the remap. If you're with one of the companies that have a fit when you mention a power increase, leave the remap and just sit out the remainder of the policy until renewal time, then get on the phone to one of the mod-friendly brokers.

My point is - it's 2015. I still read posts by idiots claiming insurance companies wouldn't detect changes to an ECU and all that rubbish. Should the worst happen, they would put plenty of effort into finding any reason not to pay a claim. Gone are the days that they would overlook checking ECU data. Lots of cars (turbocharged especially) are remapped these days, and they know it.

If they have the inclination and the resources to find out, they will find out.

I know insurance talk isn't exactly relevant to this thread, but I feel it was worth pointing out, as it will affect anyone going ahead with tuning.

If you're doing it, do it properly.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:47:24 pm by AJP »

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 08:47:54 pm »
You're not gonna believe this but the insurance thing didn't even occur to me.....until now that you mentioned it. I thought they would be interested in physical mods only?

I'm with Direct Line - does anyone know if they are good with mods? I'll phone them tomorrow and see what they.

I really appreciate you bringing this up otherwise I would never have done it.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »
Full 3inch BCS Powervalve system now fitted and booked in for a remap tweak at R-Tech next week. I'm hoping to achieve 260+ bhp.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »
Full 3inch BCS Powervalve system now fitted and booked in for a remap tweak at R-Tech next week. I'm hoping to achieve 260+ bhp.
Good man. Did you go for the sports cat or decat? And how much do they charge for the new map?

Can't wait to see your results, I think it's only a matter of time til I do the same, but maybe with a Loba or APR fuel pump.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2015, 03:28:51 pm »
Went for the 200 cell sports cat - didn't want the hassle of the decat.

They are gonna charge £90 for the remap tweak (I probably wouldn't have done this if you hadn't mentioned it).

Next year I am planning to go for the LOBA HPFP and S3 Intercooler, then go up to the next stage remap (widely known as the stage 2 remap).

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2015, 04:07:37 pm »
I think our cars are taking identical paths by the sound of it! I'm going to go for the R32 style system, just need to pick up an R32 bumper.

90 quid isn't too bad.

From what I've read you should break 260bhp, and gain plenty of torque across the rev range. Bet you can't wait!

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2015, 04:38:17 pm »
I thought about the R32 style system but wanted to keep the car looking close to stock as possible. I also love the stock suspension set-up and will not be changing that. At the moment the stock brakes are coping quite well and again I'd like to keep these standard too.

Yes - very excited about next Friday. Can't wait to be honest.

It's good that we are going down similar paths - I don't want to 'over do it' though, hence will stop after this. Only if I think I need more power I may go for the stage 2, but realistically, the way the car is performing and sounding at the moment, I wouldn't want to ruin it.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2015, 02:29:22 pm »
By the way this now means I am selling my stock OEM system, including downpipe and cats.

It came off my car at 66,750 miles and is in very good condition.

Please contact me for any further information.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6