All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Shark fins . . .

(1/5) > >>

Teutonic_Tamer:
Apart from SWMBOs, I don't really see many Mk5s, of any flavour, with a shark fin aerial.

Discuss . . .

08micsta:
Perhaps its cos the roof  lining is such a pain to remove? I read a thread about it and its quite a job.

To be fair I think the Beesting arial finishes the car off. I sharfin would make the car look too rounded.

Mike

Teutonic_Tamer:
The shark fin on SWMBOs is factory fitted.  Anyway, the roof lining is easy to remove.

And beestings are more prone to vandalism, and create extra drag - which is why many manufacturers now use shark fins, or integrate the aerial in the heated rear or side windows.

08micsta:
Extra drag? Really? I didnt realise something as thin as half a cm could do that?

I checked the options for our GTi the other day when finding out about the washers and never saw a sharkfin option so not sure.

Mike

Teutonic_Tamer:

--- Quote from: 08micsta on October 31, 2008, 02:25:42 pm ---Extra drag? Really? I didnt realise something as thin as half a cm could do that?
--- End quote ---

Yup, anything in the airflow can create extra drag.  Windscreen wipers, window seals, door handles, even bonnet emblems such as the Mercedes three pointed star can cause drag.  And don't forget the base of the bee sting - much more than half a centimetre!

--- Quote from: 08micsta on October 31, 2008, 02:25:42 pm ---I checked the options for our GTi the other day when finding out about the washers and never saw a sharkfin option so not sure.
--- End quote ---

That is the concern.  The "shark fin" itself was never was an option.  I just think it depended on what other equipment you have fitted - such as SatNav or GSM prep.  SWMBOs just has the factory SatNav, but has the shark fin, as well as the aerial elements in the rear screen.  Yet my RS4 has the same spec (factory fit SatNav, no GSM), yet has no external antenna at all.  Even if I had TV prep, it still uses the "diversity" antenna embedded in the rear screen.

So I just wondered why some peeps had bee stings, and few had a shark fin?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version