Make a donation

Author Topic: Judder on grass  (Read 1162 times)

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Judder on grass
« on: April 14, 2015, 03:15:37 pm »
Last Sunday I went to a car boot sale which is on a field of grass. I had to park up near the top of the field and I put my foot down in 1st to get up the hill and my car started to violently judder. I can't remember seeing any ESP lights flickering but as soon I backed off the throttle the judder completely stopped. Car drives fine and no funny noises.

Is this the ESP kicking in?

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
Re: Judder on grass
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 04:14:55 pm »
I had it a couple of times, once on a wet road junction, turned out my n/s/f shock was worn out and leaking, not had it since I fitted new shocks, not saying its the same issue without driving your car but worth a check  :happy2:

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:51:57 am »
Thanks, but I don't think it's that. It definately felt more engine related. It felt like the power from the engine was being cut which prevented the wheels from spinning. If it was the ESP kicking it, it felt much more violent than expected!

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:02:33 am »
I think what you suffered is what's called 'wheel hop' and happens mostly on standard cars, where the flexing of the engine on its' mounts causes this stick/slip effect at the wheels and the associated juddering..

bit more on it here:

http://www.mc2racing.com/tech/20061012a/
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 10:47:47 am »
Interesting, it definately sounds like what I experienced. I have never experienced it on the road before so I'm just putting it down to the environment my car was in at the time. I'm not one for putting my foot down in first anyway, I value my tyres and clutch too much to do that!