Make a donation

Author Topic: Flat Battery  (Read 2771 times)

Offline K1NGY14

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Flat Battery
« on: April 18, 2015, 07:03:11 pm »
Hi all,

I had a bit of a problem with my GTI this morning where is tried to start it up and it struggled at the first time of asking. I didn't think anything of it but when I tried to start it again 10 minutes later I got the constant clicking noise as the battery had gone flat.

Now when I left the car last night there was nothing left on that would drain the battery and I found it totally strange that it would just die like it did, is there anything that could of possibly drained my battery over night?

And now I have left the car hooked up to a charger is there a chance of it happening again?

Offline Andy-GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Flat Battery
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:30:03 pm »
how old is the battery?

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 07:36:29 pm »
Have you added any new bits? Headunit that sort of thing?

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline Andy-GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:14:48 pm »
I had loads of issues with my 6R on a 60plate & original battery. Car going flat randomly, brought engine warning lights, with various errors recorded too. All it turned out to be was my battery was running at about 40%. Sometimes it worked on start up and sometimes it never, even after a good run out it would sometimes fail after leaving it a few hours. Sometimes work after 2 days leaving the car!. I paniced as the symptoms didn't sound like battery issue, and that something was draining it. New battery on and was fine.

Offline K1NGY14

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:41 pm »
how old is the battery?
I think the battery came with the car which is an 08 plate.
Have you added any new bits? Headunit that sort of thing?
No nothing has been added to it recently, which is a bit concerning!
I had loads of issues with my 6R on a 60plate & original battery. Car going flat randomly, brought engine warning lights, with various errors recorded too. All it turned out to be was my battery was running at about 40%. Sometimes it worked on start up and sometimes it never, even after a good run out it would sometimes fail after leaving it a few hours. Sometimes work after 2 days leaving the car!. I paniced as the symptoms didn't sound like battery issue, and that something was draining it. New battery on and was fine.
By the sounds of it I will have to look at getting a new battery

Offline Andy-GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:49:47 pm »
Hope it turns out to be that. Easy replacement and after 7 years use its not a bad thing to have to replace anyways.  :happy2:

Offline K1NGY14

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:58:42 pm »
Hope it turns out to be that. Easy replacement and after 7 years use its not a bad thing to have to replace anyways.  :happy2:
Yeah I agree mate, I will get down to ECP next week. Do you have any recommendations of which one to buy?

Offline Andy-GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 01:19:09 pm »
Pretty sure mine was a Bosch but it was a 6R so different car, can only assume Bosch are decent. Had a choice between 2 and the Bosch was only a few £ more so went with the branded name.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 03:43:07 pm »
Battery can just go like that..I replaced mine and bought the bosh one

Offline K1NGY14

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 01:24:26 pm »
Yeah I have just had it tested and it was the battery that was the problem, he said it was working to about 40% capacity!