Make a donation

Author Topic: Having starting problems?  (Read 826 times)

Offline austengti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Having starting problems?
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:40:58 pm »
hi guys, I've just finished fitting a new clutch/flywheel, dv, PCV at the weekend and since then my car just decides to not start as if the battery is dead as the starter relay just clicks? But the battery voltage is reading 12.31v when the cars not running, then 13.73 when the cars running? So that suggests the battery's okay? It'll jump start no bother so It can't be a connection issue?

So Is it possible the battery can read the correct voltage but still not have enough juice to start the car? Rather confused on this one.

If someone could confirm my suspicions of the battery or point me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
Re: Having starting problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:22:14 pm »
If it will jump start but not from your battery it suggests you need a new one. Unless the battery is less than 3 years old I would just buy a new one. It can read 12v and still not deliver enough current to crank the starter.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:44 pm »
Check the earth from the starter/gearbox to the body of the car.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline austengti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:27:53 pm »
Yeah I know where your coming from @Flyingscotsman, just find it strange how it didn't do it before, wouldn't of thought a battery being disconnected for two days would do any harm. If I can't find anything else I'll be replacing it

Good shout on the earth Alex, I might of been an idiot and not tightened the connection or
Something(it was p*ssing rain so I was rushing).

Forgot to say though that it does start most of the time ok, but twice its happened since I've had the car back up and running

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:44:20 pm »
Yes definitely check all connections as Alex says. If it's intermittent not starting that's really annoying. 
The thing about batteries is that they really are a replacement part like brake pads and clutches. A standard battery may only last 2-3 years depending on use. What batteries hate is being left discharged for any length of time. Eg if you don't use car at all over winter. If left discharged you get build up of lead sulphate on the plates that permanently reduces capacity.
It could be the case that the mass of your new clutch/flywheel is greater than the d one and starter needs more current than the old battery can supply.

Offline austengti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:30 am »
Yeah intermittent is doing my head In, not really keen on driving it anywhere incase it decides not to start

I'll check all the connections tonight and see what happens. If it was the mass of the new clutch would it not struggle to start everytime?