Make a donation

Author Topic: What leather product for Skoda steering wheel  (Read 1650 times)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
What leather product for Skoda steering wheel
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:16:01 pm »
Just wondered what sort of leather cream is used by peeps on here. My new Skoda has a nice leather wheel and I want to keep it in good condition. I always regretted neglecting the wheel in my GTI and want to keep on top of this one to stop it getting knackered looking. The gear knob and handbrake cover are leather too, so I guess they would also benefit from some care too. Any recommendations would be great  :happy2:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
Re: What leather product for Skoda steering wheel
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »
Cheers for that, I'll look into getting some  :happy2:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Hevoshullu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 09:36:23 am »
I would not recommend using any "care" products on leather steering wheels and gear knobs. They will most likely only accelerate the wear of your steering wheel or make it excessively slippery/shiny. What you want is a clean steering wheel with a natural matt finish.

So you're best of with regular cleaning with mild soap (Marseille soap is great and gentle or you could use a mild dilution of APC) and a brush. Microfiber towels are usually seen as too aggressive for coated leather steering wheels so I would instead use a 100% cotton towel to wipe the wheel clean and dry after brushing with soap. You can use a microfiber too but be extra careful and only press it on the steering wheel rather than dragging it along the surface.

Just my two cents, I hope it makes any sense. : ) (I am not a native english speaker nor writer so...)

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:57:58 pm »
I would not recommend using any "care" products on leather steering wheels and gear knobs. They will most likely only accelerate the wear of your steering wheel or make it excessively slippery/shiny. What you want is a clean steering wheel with a natural matt finish.

So you're best of with regular cleaning with mild soap (Marseille soap is great and gentle or you could use a mild dilution of APC) and a brush. Microfiber towels are usually seen as too aggressive for coated leather steering wheels so I would instead use a 100% cotton towel to wipe the wheel clean and dry after brushing with soap. You can use a microfiber too but be extra careful and only press it on the steering wheel rather than dragging it along the surface.

Just my two cents, I hope it makes any sense. : ) (I am not a native english speaker nor writer so...)

Read up about Dr Leather, it's the only leather product you need  :happy2: