Make a donation

Author Topic: is the suspension the same.....  (Read 4995 times)

Offline plush-automotive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
is the suspension the same.....
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:35:37 am »
Hi i know alot of the audi a3/s3 bits are interchangable, does anyone know if the audi a3 8p suspension is the same as the mk 5 golf.

When i say the same i mean bolt and fit the same or are mounting holes etc in different places i'm not fussed about the shocks etc.

I just have a A3 booked in for air in the new year and wanted the heads up on the suspension maybe save myself a little time in getting the parts and kit in before the car arrives.

Thanks for any help.

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: is the suspension the same.....
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:32:34 pm »
Hi i know alot of the audi a3/s3 bits are interchangable, does anyone know if the audi a3 8p suspension is the same as the mk 5 golf.

When i say the same i mean bolt and fit the same or are mounting holes etc in different places i'm not fussed about the shocks etc.

I just have a A3 booked in for air in the new year and wanted the heads up on the suspension maybe save myself a little time in getting the parts and kit in before the car arrives.

Thanks for any help.

Yep, no difference.. I have swapped between a few times, so long as you have the 55mm shock bodies there all the same..

There are two different shock diameters, 50mm and 55mm but I have yet to see any car with 50mm up to now..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline plush-automotive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »

Thanks for any help.

Yep, no difference.. I have swapped between a few times, so long as you have the 55mm shock bodies there all the same..

There are two different shock diameters, 50mm and 55mm but I have yet to see any car with 50mm up to now..

Cheers mate your a legend, if they were the 50mm ones would all the fixings and mounting points be different

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:14:12 pm »

Thanks for any help.

Cheers mate your a legend, if they were the 50mm ones would all the fixings and mounting points be different

No worries..

Nope, just the diameter of the bottom end of the strut (that locates into the hub) would be 50mm not 55mm.. But like I say, there 55mm by all accounts!

Just measure yours to be sure though..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:36:20 pm »
Wierdly anything on a non GTI/R32 is a pressed steel wishbone, therefore a slightly different spec. I'd ensure the A3 wasn't likewise for the low end models, you don't want to drop quality.

Weirder still, the MKVI GTI has the same sh*te wishbones.
Sideways yo!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:28:57 pm »
It's about the cost... The MkVI is cheaper to build, I guess the cost savings had to be made somewhere. So, not only does the MkV have the better engine, it has better suspension too?!

Where sort of contruction are the wishbones on the MkV GTI/R32 - are they cast?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator