Make a donation

Author Topic: How to upgrade from MFD2 Sat Nav Unit  (Read 2228 times)

Offline gazcos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
How to upgrade from MFD2 Sat Nav Unit
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »
Hello,

I've recently bought my 2007 Golf , I specifically wanted one with built in Sat Nav and coming from A BMW before I have to say I'm feeling a little bit underwhelmed by the VW system, I believe its called MFD2? . I like the way it gives me directions on the little screen between the speedo and the Rev counter but I'm finding the graphics on the actual Sat Nav a bit basic compared to the System I had in my BMW. I know in that I had a new disc which I think gave better 3d graphics, camera alerts etc , can the same be done with the VW? Also the sound from the stereo is not great. What's the best thing to here, upgrade the speakers or am I better pulling the Sat Nav out and replacing it with something better?

Regards,
Gary

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
Re: How to upgrade from MFD2 Sat Nav Unit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:24 pm »
Do a quick search for the RNS510 headunit
It is the newest type available at the moment
There are various revisions available - I have just got a Version R which comes with a SSD, LED Screen and the latest maps and speed camera alerts.
You shouldn't need to pay much more than £450 for a new one - mine was from Lithuania and works perfectly.
Easy to install yourself without any issues although if you decide to go for one of the more expensive DAB versions remember you will likely need to replace your roof aerial 

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline gazcos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:21:17 pm »
Hi, thanks for that, sounds interesting! I've seen a few people on here talking about battery drain problems and having to update the canbus? These are just words to me lol, will one of these be a direct replacement for my MFD2 and need no other changes? Will the Sat Nav info still show up on the instrument cluster and lastly will the sound quality of the stereo improve or is it the speakers that are letting this down?   

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:51:16 pm »
As it is a 2007 you will probably be ok regarding battery drain issues
Updating a canbus gateway basically involves changing a small electrical box that lives up behind the scuttle panel with a newer model.
As you already have a nav unit it should work right out of the box  :happy2:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline gazcos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:39 pm »
Ok thanks I'll look into it. Cheers, Gary

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:20:58 am »
As it is a 2007 you will probably be ok regarding battery drain issues
Updating a canbus gateway basically involves changing a small electrical box that lives up behind the scuttle panel with a newer model.
As you already have a nav unit it should work right out of the box  :happy2:

Hey just to add, it may still require an updated or replaced CAN Gateway. Mine is 07 plate (Apr 2007) with factory MFD2 and my CAN Gateway is not updateable and needs to be replaced to work with later head units.

A quick VCDS scan showed mine as this:

Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 K    HW: 1K0 907 951
Component: J533__Gateway   H04 0021

According to this table from Ross-Tech, it needs to be replaced:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Navigation_System_%28RNS510%29_Retrofitting

Good luck!