Make a donation

Author Topic: Dash cameras. Who's got one fitted to there's??  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Milkman123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: Black GT 170TDi. Full leather, RCD510, 18" charlestones, MDI., only 35k on her from new
Dash cameras. Who's got one fitted to there's??
« on: April 27, 2015, 12:10:22 am »
Right guys I'm after a small dash cam. Been looking for a while the but the web is wash with mixed reviews.
Anyone running one and if poss a picture of it fitted to your screen.
 I'm after s small descrite one as people around my end like to borrow things with out asking if you now what i mean  :indifferent:

Many thanks  :happy2:

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Dash cameras. Who's got one fitted to there's??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:35:38 am »
I have this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-DVR/dp/B00F5WP990

With a 32gb memory card. Placed it behind the rear view mirror and cable runs around windscreen, down side of dash, under glovebox and plugs into 12v socket. Great piece of kit for the money. Very discreet and  easily removable.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:48:14 am »
I have this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-DVR/dp/B00F5WP990

With a 32gb memory card. Placed it behind the rear view mirror and cable runs around windscreen, down side of dash, under glovebox and plugs into 12v socket. Great piece of kit for the money. Very discreet and  easily removable.

These are awesome, I have the 0806
Also check out the K1S for an installed front and rear camera system (tiny camera's with seperate recording unit to hide away)
&index=42

Offline daddykool

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:04:33 pm »
I have Trancend Pro , Can't fault it!!

4ndy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:49 pm »
Fitted an LS430 because it was £90. Didn't expect much but impressed by the image quality at this price
 I only have it switched on for commuting Never at the weekend :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 07:42:46 pm »
I've just changed my car but did have a Blackvue fitted.  Photos on the second page:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87776.0.html

Offline Phil_H

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:03:11 pm »
I've got a FineVu CR-500HD, hardwired in (cables under headlining and down the a pillar), also have a GPS module added.

Here's a good reason to have them fitted! Luckily I'm a calm driver haha...oh...and my car speedo was reading 60 ;)

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:11:10 pm »
I have this:

I too have a Mini 0801 which works really well. There have been various updates and I think the 0806 is the latest incarnation.  Each new version does seem to have a few teething problems initially when first released but once sorted, they work really well.  Even the 0801 gives great images and can be found really cheap now.  Comes with an optional GPS unit - you basically get a different base that has the GPS bits in.  Bought mine from joovuu.com - can also get them from Amazon.  Before of fake copies on ebay!

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »
I have a BlackVue (can't remember which model) and its great. Very good quality images day and night, it has GPS tracking/ speed readout (optional), time and date stamp. You can connect to it via WiFi or plug the micro SD card into your device.

It's hardwired into the fuse box and will automatically turn off if the voltage on the battery gets to low so it doesn't die. It records when moving and parked and sensors violent movement and the videos are flagged as red, you can also set the sensitivity. Its not cheap, around £300 all in but is very good.

Offline Milkman123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: Black GT 170TDi. Full leather, RCD510, 18" charlestones, MDI., only 35k on her from new
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 11:19:15 am »
Thanks guys. That black vue does look nice and small and quite hidden been black

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 11:43:34 am »
I have a dashcam mini 0801.

Direct wired it to my fusebox so it starts and stops automatically with ignition on.

Internal 32gb card records on a loop.

It's hidden behind rear view and so cannot be seen by anyone in the car.

I've turned the screen black so nobody actually knows it's there.

It's in my build thread here - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250

There's also a how to on direct wiring. Only takes a few bits and 10mins work.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 02:03:21 pm »
I tried a BlackVue (the one with front and rear camera's) I found the picture quality to be excellent, but the front camera was too large really and I was not happy with the mounting options, in my opinion it is more suited to LHD cars as it sat too far left of the rear view mirror which meant that it was seeing more of the left side than the right so I sold it.

Offline Milkman123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 02:50:38 pm »
Thanks guys. Iv been looking. And liking a black vue dr3500. Looks really n I'd and small and not A bad price.

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 03:18:15 pm »
I have the Eprance mini 0803.  Brilliant unit and excellent quality video day and night.  Wiring has gone under the headlining, down the side pillar and then hard wired into the fuse box for a more stealthy look.

Random video I took with it.  Click to watch in HD to get the best quality :)

Offline SkyJawa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 05:37:12 pm »
I've been through 3 of the 080x cams - they were crap and not worth the money, rubbish mounts and they bricked themselves.

Got a transcend drivepro 200 now and its been faultless.  They've got a new one coming out with some interesting features like lane departure warning and frontal collision warning.  Also run a cheapo G1W in the rear which also I've had no trouble with.

Also run the G1W in the wifes GTi and its also no issue.  Hardest part was getting it wired correctly having a 2005 always on cigarette lighter that would drain the battery with the cam plugged in so had to wire into the fusebox with a mini spade bridge and a cheapo 12v socket off ebay similar to DanMaytee but I didn't directly wire it.