Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension Options  (Read 11007 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Suspension Options
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 09:43:34 pm »
^^^ On my Mk5 I paid around £200 for the H&R springs (can be found a bit cheaper on ebay.de) and £100 for fitting and alignment  :happy2:

Thanks Steve. Thats not to bad. Ill have a look though your build thread for pics.  :party:
Cheers  :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 09:44:33 pm »
The VWR springs (just rebadged KW's) give very little drop on Mk5.

For a true 30-40 drop while maintaining a near OEM ride it has to be the H&R Springs for me  :happy2:

....Ahh, I didn't know what the VWR spring drop is but thought it was approaching 40 mm.

@ Pete: I have no idea about the VWR lowering spring ride either. From KoniFSD's I went their KW-V3 coilover route.

Yep the Mk5 ones are just the plain 20mm springs, so basically like your old Eibach pro's  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 09:50:02 pm »

....At the risk of appearing pedantic, yes the VWR springs and other suspension components are made by KW but mostly to a specification developed between themselves and KW Germany with whom they have a Technical Partnership. KW also being an official VW Cup sponsor. So, a little more than "just". At least, that's my understanding.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 09:50:41 pm »
Here is my old girl on the H&R's

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 09:51:49 pm »
^^^^
Then H&R clearly a great option  :happy2:

Crikey! When you compare our sigs, Steve, my Mk5 looks so dated! I'll keep telling myself mine's a future classic.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:55:37 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:45 pm »

....At the risk of appearing pedantic, yes the VWR springs and other suspension components are made by KW but mostly to a specification developed between themselves and KW Germany with whom they have a Technical Partnership. KW also being an official VW Cup sponsor. So, a little more than "just". At least, that's my understanding.

Robin, I understand that is the case with some of their products but a lot (including the standard lowering springs and the ARB's for example) are just off the shelf KW stuff  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 09:54:43 pm »

Robin, I understand that is the case with some of their products but a lot (including the standard lowering springs and the ARB's for example) are just off the shelf KW stuff  :happy2:

....We're saying more or less the same thing, mate: I'm saying "mostly" and you're saying "some".

:drinking:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 09:55:35 pm »
Here is my old girl on the H&R's

Thats spot on Steve. I said I wouldnt be spending anymore money on the car for a while, here I come ebay.  :laugh: :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:39 pm »
Robin the only difference  between the VWR branded stuff is the colour. If you think about it what else could they offer. I cant imagine KW adding some magical dust to VWR stuff.

I have been there on 2 occasion's were Mat and your pal who is no longer there, just rang up KW and asked can you send us the correct springs and shocks for this particular car. KW boffins just look down there list and select the blue version for them.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 11:45:50 pm »
Robin the only difference  between the VWR branded stuff is the colour. If you think about it what else could they offer. I cant imagine KW adding some magical dust to VWR stuff.

I have been there on 2 occasion's were Mat and your pal who is no longer there, just rang up KW and asked can you send us the correct springs and shocks for this particular car. KW boffins just look down there list and select the blue version for them.  :happy2:

....Different spring ratings? Different combinations than available off the shelf in the UK?

Whatever.. Their suspension works well for me.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 05:51:05 am »

For a true 30-40 drop while maintaining a near OEM ride it has to be the H&R Springs for me  :happy2:

X2 H&R for me to, superb comfort  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 08:06:23 am »

Robin the only difference  between the VWR branded stuff is the colour.

....That's not how it's been sold to me. In which case it sounds as if VWR are being naughty and I will want some clarification from them.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:29 am »

....That's not how it's been sold to me. In which case it sounds as if VWR are being naughty and I will want some clarification from them.

Well of course they will sell different spring ratings, if applicable to the usage. But why would they sell a set of say for instance a KW V3 with a different spring rating than what KW had spent lots of time and money developing. Yes they order springs with a custom rating for there track cars, and customers like Jonny who know that by having stiffer springs they can get a certain ride height without rubbing, but in general if you order V3's then you would get V3's but in blue. Take a look at Poko's build thread on here, the chap from Israel.
My clubsports came in blue, but i am 100% certain that there is no difference with them form any other clubsport's sold.  :happy2:

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 01:25:46 pm »

Robin, I understand that is the case with some of their products but a lot (including the standard lowering springs and the ARB's for example) are just off the shelf KW stuff  :happy2:

if your correct on the arb's then that is a £250 premium for some vwr blue paint...

will be popping down the paint shop when I come to sell my kw arb's  :innocent:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 11:14:22 am »

It would seem that VWR are still up to their old tricks.  I'm genuinely disapointed, especially after that very long 'heart to heart' chat I had with Sam . . . .
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~