Make a donation

Author Topic: New member - 2005 5 Door GTI DSG  (Read 1116 times)

Offline montythemole

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
New member - 2005 5 Door GTI DSG
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:06:54 pm »
Hi all,  new member having just picked up my 05 plate DSG GTI.

Have had a company car for 14 years, but setting up working for myself so needed to buy a car.  Looked at everything from £500 Volvos to brand new Merc on lease/HP etc.  Really struggled to pick!   Eventually saw this on Autotrader locally, went and had a look and garage seemed a real friendly bunch, had no issue with me test driving a wide range of their cars and occupying one member of staff for a good few hours.   Other garages seemed to act like they were doing you a favour letting you even sit in the car.

Wife prefers autos, and have to say after two Prius with CVT and a succession of her company Mercs I struggle to see the point of manuals in most cases.  So today we picked up this, good condition for year and a FSH, but is fairly leggy at 135k.   For me it's a good compromise between being fun, able to fit kids in, and being presentable for work.

Saying goodbye to the Prius -

First job today was to fit the bottle opener I got off ebay in the cup tray, and pull off the horrid dealer sticker.  I was going to pull the tax holder off as well but it seems to have a wire in it - I think an aerial for a car kit maybe?   Has an extra mic popping out the roof lamp.

Initial impressions are it shifts well, and is hard over the bumps.   Had a Seat Leon Cupra R 225 before and forgot how hard they can be.

Next few jobs will be sorting the usual boot badge issues, and a new head unit.  It has a new MOT included in the sale, and a full service including drivebelt.

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
Re: New member - 2005 5 Door GTI DSG
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
Looks and sounds similar to mine, except the colour. Be interested to see what you do with it.

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline montythemole

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Re: New member - 2005 5 Door GTI DSG
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 03:04:04 pm »
Taken a while for an update!

Car now up to 141k and driving great.  I had a PCV failure (like we all seem to eventually) and quickly sorted that with help from here.

Then I needed some new tyres and the wheels are very kerbed so decided to take them off and try and get refurbed.  In the meantime I got a set of cheap, refurbed Audi TT mk2 alloys with two nearly new tyres on and I'm now rolling on these.