Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi I'm Rob. New gti owner. Big issues.... Input welcome.  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Rbailey88

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
Hi I'm Rob. New gti owner. Big issues.... Input welcome.
« on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:43 pm »
Hi, im Rob
4 weeks ago I bought a 2007 gti dsg 5 door in tornado red. Last 3 cars have been audi's, all built for low and slow. With news of a new addition to the family I decided to change my car. Fancied  something different this time but still wanted vag and some nice performance along with 5 doors and practicality. After a couple of test drives I bought my gti with fsh 62k just serviced with fresh mot. I love the car and build quality, and it ticks all the boxes for me. The dsg is amazing and can't fault the car (other than interior switches looking tatty/scratched) but already ordered replacement bits to freshen up the inside. Took the car on a couple of nice drives and loved every second!
Last week I ordered coilovers (thanks to dpm) and fitted them Saturday. Next step is intake and turbo back.
After a day out yesterday I  was heading back home on the motorway when 'STOP' 'turn off engine immediately' 'low oil pressure' came on the dash...
Pulled up and turned the engine off and got on Google. After 20 mins plus, I decided to fire her back up, no lights or warning signals came up but it sounded like a tractor! Very loud rattles and tapping like mad! Turned engine off again and called it a day, phoned for road assist (part of my warranty) and they were closed for bank holiday haha! A mate towed me, and I decided to drop it outside of vw ready.

After vw checking the car over today I received a call basically explaining that the damage is unknown until stripping the engine but the tests they have done indicate that a new engine will be required. They quoted £4500 for parts and 14 hours labour making a total of just over £7000!!!! Spoke to the warranty who tell me they only pay up to a maximum of £2000. They are sending somebody to assess the car at vw to confirm decision of a new engine or not. I purchased the car from dews motor group in Halifax only 4 weeks ago with fresh service etc and 1 years warranty with autotrust, as well as 6 months statatuary warranty by law I'm guessing. From my research I'm pointing towards failed oil pump or pick up pipe blocked, technician at vw said the fresh oil may have flushed the sludge built up over time and blocked the pick up. Basically after the warranty company saying there limit is £2k I'm getting really stressed at the fact nobody is telling me 'don't worry you won't pay anything' which is what I'm dying to hear. Spoke to Dews where I purchased the car and they said they are waiting to speak to the boss for more information. I've asked the warranty company for a courtesy car as I need transport but they said there £2k won't cover the repairs so there will be no funds left for a courtesy car.
Can anybody shed any light on these kind of situations. Never had warranty or bought a car from a garage also. Who is liable?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Rob

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: Hi I'm Rob. New gti owner. Big issues.... Input welcome.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:48:19 pm »
Don't worry to much about it, it's covered under the sales of goods act which says a car should be of satisfactory quality. Have a search online and read about it.

Bit of advice, when you speak with the garage etc do it over email if possible so it's all documented.

Might be worth having a chat with @MateyGuv, he's in the trade and was a great help to me when I had issues.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:11:29 pm »
That's terrible luck.

I'd personally try and get the dealer to take the car back and refund you. Even if the warranty company agree to pay, you'd still be out of pocket for thousands.

Make sure VW know the complete situation - if they start stripping things down before the warranty inspector is involved this could give them an excuse not to pay.

As AndyBrown says, read up. Read up as much as you can.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:15:01 pm by AJP »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:21:37 pm »
Wonder they have cleaned the oil pick up in the sump

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:42:03 am »
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. But mine was due to too much engine oil being put in.

Unfortunately, it could be a number of reasons why it's happened. But the tractor noise could suggest that a cylinder is misfiring now and the car is struggling.

Worth seeing if you can get hold of a Vag Com and try and get a full diagnostics test on the car

People on the forum are helpful with that sort to thing.
I'm sorry but this isn't good advice.

He's just bought the car, with a warranty, from a dealer. The last thing he wants to be doing is going near the car himself plugging cables in.

It's at VW. It doesn't run. VW have already said it's knackered. The warranty company have yet to assess the damage, and given the slightest excuse would refuse to pay anyway.

I'm sure you mean well but we're not talking about a car bought privately without a warranty here. He needs to be mindful about what he does and doesn't do.

Again, OP, good luck.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:54:44 pm »
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. But mine was due to too much engine oil being put in.

Unfortunately, it could be a number of reasons why it's happened. But the tractor noise could suggest that a cylinder is misfiring now and the car is struggling.

Worth seeing if you can get hold of a Vag Com and try and get a full diagnostics test on the car

People on the forum are helpful with that sort to thing.
I'm sorry but this isn't good advice.

He's just bought the car, with a warranty, from a dealer. The last thing he wants to be doing is going near the car himself plugging cables in.

It's at VW. It doesn't run. VW have already said it's knackered. The warranty company have yet to assess the damage, and given the slightest excuse would refuse to pay anyway.

I'm sure you mean well but we're not talking about a car bought privately without a warranty here. He needs to be mindful about what he does and doesn't do.

Again, OP, good luck.

i dont see why i cant get it scanned  :popcornsoda:

VW are full of trainee techs that dont have a @*!~#%$ clue.

VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:59:09 pm »
I wouldn't even bother f*cking about with it.
The cars not of satisfactory quality I'd be going for a full refund on it.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:04:03 pm »
not really messing about with it sticking vcds.

if it was me the car would be already back at the dealer and my money better be ready  :signLOL:
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »
not really messing about with it sticking vcds.

No course not, but issues like that after 4 weeks like, like you said it'd be going straight back

Offline Rbailey88

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »
Thanks for all the input people. Spoke to the garage I bought it from again today, he basically said the same as the warranty company. The assessor needs to make a decision first on the actual damage. I've got a feeling vw have only done the basic checks and just want to put a new lump in to save complications. I'd be made up with a brand new engine but I can't see that happening at £7k! I'm guessing the assessor will want the engine apart to see more and maybe advise on repair instead of replace. Either way it's not my place to be spending a small fortune on repairing the car. I also love the car and would be gutted if I lost it. Took me a couple of moths to find a red day with low miles and the right spec.
I would of towed the car to the dealers if it wasn't 2 hours away and demanded cash back. Think I'll have to just wait and see what the warranty say after the checks have been made. The dealer, warranty and vw are all in contact with each other so they can battle over the bill.
Just want my gti back...  :confused:

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:46 pm »
The car is not of merchantable quality and not fit for the purpose for which you purchased it.  That's the Sale of Goods Act, which you should read carefully.  If you are not happy with the suggested resolution - and you should wait to hear what that is - then you have every right to 'reject' the car and demand your money back. 

I strongly advise you to:
Make a point of being particularly reasonable.  Tell them you've had to get a couple of taxis, for example, without immediately demanding that they pay for them.
Put EVERYTHING in writing, preferably e-mail.  If you have a phone conversation, e-mail them straight away with a summary of that conversation "in the interests of clarity".
Ask for time scales (in writing), and chase them up regularly (in writing).

Your contract is with the supplying dealer and the onus to repair your car is on him.  In involving the warranty company, the dealer is just trying to minimise his losses.

If there's no satisfactory resolution offered, then you will need to register a claim in the small claims court.  The limit is £10,000 and the process is straightforward.  More here:  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-rights/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/

Good luck, and please keep us updated.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:05:29 pm by SRC »

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:19:05 pm »
The car is not of merchantable quality and not fit for the purpose for which you purchased it.  That's the Sale of Goods Act, which you should read carefully.  If you are not happy with the suggested resolution - and you should wait to hear what that is - then you have every right to 'reject' the car and demand your money back. 

I strongly advise you to:
Make a point of being particularly reasonable.  Tell them you've had to get a couple of taxis, for example, without immediately demanding that they pay for them.
Put EVERYTHING in writing, preferably e-mail.  If you have a phone conversation, e-mail them straight away with a summary of that conversation "in the interests of clarity".
Ask for time scales (in writing), and chase them up regularly (in writing).

Your contract is with the supplying dealer and the onus to repair your car is on him.  In involving the warranty company, the dealer is just trying to minimise his losses.

If there's no satisfactory resolution offered, then you will need to register a claim in the small claims court.  The limit is £10,000 and the process is straightforward.  More here:  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-rights/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

That ^^^^^^
Citizens advice might be worth a call as well.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41:16 pm »
Brilliant post SRC. Rob, follow his advice. Remember:

The warranty company will be looking for ways to avoid paying a penny.

The dealer will be looking for ways to avoid taking the car back.

VW will happily do whatever work is contracted regardless of implications.

The info and guidance SRC posted is the real world, not the world of bullsh*t the dealer or the warranty company will inevitably draw you into.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 09:56:19 pm »
And just to add, please don't get attached to this car. You might end up with your heart getting in the way of your head.

If (big if) you find a way of getting the car back in full working order without paying a penny, happy days. But don't be tempted to oblige to any contribution to the work because you miss the car. Do it right.

Offline Rbailey88

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 02:05:15 pm »
Wow! What a massive amount of help, really appreciate the support and information. I've just received a call from vw explaining that the assessor agrees on internal damage and the fact it does need a new engine. They have set a fixed £2000 limit for repair which isn't going to be enough. So I've contacted Dews and said that the option is to make up the extra £5k towards the new engine or to pay me back in full. They will now be contacting vw to arrange picking the car up to take it back to there garage and arrange a courtesy car for me as I need transportation. One step at a time I suppose...
Big thumbs up for all the back up. Thanks  :happy2: