Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking to go stage 2  (Read 945 times)

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
Looking to go stage 2
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:56:33 am »
Hi guys I'm looking to go stage 2 just need a rough idea of how much I will need to spend and on what also what kind of figures should I expect from a stage 2 currently I'm on 244bhp and 326torque. Currently car is completely stock with stage 1 from r-tech.

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
Re: Looking to go stage 2
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:47:58 am »
Manual or DSG ?.  If manual budget £1K for clutch.

You'll need downpipe with sports cat.  You can remove the pre-cat on your OEM system but there will be more restriction with your remaining cat than with installing aftermarket sports cat, ie Milltek.  Precat removal £0 if you do it yourself.  Aftermarket downpipe with sports cat around £400.  Cat back is purely for show and noise and not worth a lot performance wise (nice though  :happy2:).

OEM filter can be retained if you like it quiet or like the majority you could buy a CAI to improve air flow supply to compressor.  CAI filters systems £250-£450

If you optimise the air flow in an out of the turbo you could be looking at 270'ish bhp and decent improvements in mid range torque.  One of the guys on here will know how much another tweek on the map will cost from R-tech up to stage 2.

Hope this helps.

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:42:42 pm »
mines a dsg. I'm really not a fan of loud noise but if it sounds nice why not. So you are saying I can do a stage 2 just with a precat delete? other than exhaust modifications do I need any other changes intake intercooler? or is it good to go with either a pre cat delete or a miltek?

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 04:10:51 pm »
You will see gains from your setup with the precat delete and a CAI, whether it's considered true stage 2 I'm not 100% sure.  This would be your cheapest way to improve the performance of your car. Try someones car with a CAI if your concerned about cabin noise, they can be very loud.

A step up from this would be an aftermarket downpipe with something like a 200 cel sports cat, this would reduce the exhausts pressure drop compared to just bashing out the precat in the OEM exhaust and leaving the main cat in place (800 cel I believe).  This would obviously cost an additional £400 or so but would allow the R-tech map to produce more power.

I wouldn't bother with a new intercooler at stage 2 personally, particularly if the budget is a little tight.  If it were me I'd go with a Milltek downpipe, CAI and then try and find £500 ish for a Loba hpfp (possible second hand one if you can find one) and £200-£300 for a S3 intercooler and go straight to 2+ and save yourself another remap cost when you want to go to 2+ (which you will  :evilgrin:).

Offline The666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:37:33 pm »
You will see gains from your setup with the precat delete and a CAI, whether it's considered true stage 2 I'm not 100% sure.  This would be your cheapest way to improve the performance of your car. Try someones car with a CAI if your concerned about cabin noise, they can be very loud.

A step up from this would be an aftermarket downpipe with something like a 200 cel sports cat, this would reduce the exhausts pressure drop compared to just bashing out the precat in the OEM exhaust and leaving the main cat in place (800 cel I believe).  This would obviously cost an additional £400 or so but would allow the R-tech map to produce more power.

I wouldn't bother with a new intercooler at stage 2 personally, particularly if the budget is a little tight.  If it were me I'd go with a Milltek downpipe, CAI and then try and find £500 ish for a Loba hpfp (possible second hand one if you can find one) and £200-£300 for a S3 intercooler and go straight to 2+ and save yourself another remap cost when you want to go to 2+ (which you will  :evilgrin:).

LOL 2+ probably will. How much we looking 1k - 1.5k for everything needed plus the remap and maybe a dsg remap stage 1 or 2? is that gonna give bhp of 300+?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:27 pm »
You won't get 300bhp on a k03. And bear in mind all these supporting mods serve to get maximum boost out of that little k03. Things will get hot!

Have you considered a k04 and appropriate injectors mapped with your standard inlet and exhaust? This is basically what a stage 1 edition 30 is. I'd argue that this is a much safer way of finding 300bhp. The larger k04 will take it in its stride.

And then of course you have the option to go well past 300bhp with inlet, exhaust, intercooler once the k04 is in. Careful with going ott though, the edition 30 internals will take more than a gti.