Make a donation

Author Topic: Audi s3 owners  (Read 2735 times)

Offline topdawg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Audi s3 owners
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:56:30 pm »
Hi, I am going to look at an audi s3 tomorrow, 57 reg 95,000 miles what are the specifics I should look out for in the service history? does anyone have a list of options available so I can see what it has/hasn't got, also how tuneable are they and what are the most popular mods, any help much appreciated

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Audi s3 owners
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:20:05 pm »
How tunable are they? It's the same engine as an Ed30  :signLOL:

Remap gives you around 300bhp.. . Have a look around the forum.

Look for same things as you would with any car. Maintenance, decent tyres ask about cam follower - especially at that mileage.its not a serviceable item, but an enthusiast should know to replace it.

Haldex should have had 2 services (every 40k). If it's S-Tronic (DSG) then it should have been serviced every 40k too
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:45:25 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:32:57 pm »
Haldex should have had 2 services (every 40k). If it's S-Tronic (DSG) then it should have been serviced every 20k

DSG service is every 40k. Not sure about the Haldex.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:45:40 pm »
Haldex should have had 2 services (every 40k). If it's S-Tronic (DSG) then it should have been serviced every 20k

DSG service is every 40k. Not sure about the Haldex.

Amended  :happy2:

Offline topdawg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:37:42 pm »
How tunable are they? It's the same engine as an Ed30  :signLOL:

Remap gives you around 300bhp.. . Have a look around the forum.

Look for same things as you would with any car. Maintenance, decent tyres ask about cam follower - especially at that mileage.its not a serviceable item, but an enthusiast should know to replace it.

Haldex should have had 2 services (every 40k). If it's S-Tronic (DSG) then it should have been serviced every 40k too

cheers, its a manual I am not too fussy on the semi-autos have been only looking at the manuals and will check that haldex has been serviced twice, looks nice condition but it was inside garage so couldn't see as well as I wanted and could not see the back because the garage wall was too close lol

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 07:20:18 pm »
What are you driving now ?
S3 is a little bland to drive imho  :innocent:

But maintenance is everything and proof of it too .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline topdawg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 01:00:15 am »
What are you driving now ?
S3 is a little bland to drive imho  :innocent:

But maintenance is everything and proof of it too .

Hi mate I didn't get the first s3 that I looked at it wasn't exactly as described, but I looked at another one and now I have a standard s3 and a stage 2 golf gti, there are things I like better on the golf and also things I like about the audi, but tbh with only having drove the audi for one day I have not fell in love with it yet (first day of the golf I didnt wanna get out of it.)  I agree 100% it does feel boring but having had it for such a short time I haven't exactly tried to find the limits yet  :rolleye: :driver: , some say with the k04 turbo cars they totally different altogether when remapped though?

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:32:48 am »
I had a S3 Sportback after I got rid of my Mk5 GTI.  It was boring.  A very nice, fast car mind with quattro grip which was great but it had no soul about it.  I thought it would be a GTI + but although almost every individual aspect was 'better' the sum of the parts didn't equate to a 'better' drive.

The one aspect it definately wasn't better was standard spec - many of the little creature comforts that were standard in the GTI were options in the S3 - like auto lights & wipers / footwell lights / ambient lighting / illuminated glovebox etc etc which I felt was more than a little mean.  I guess things like Xenon's are standard though.

Since then I've moved on to a S4 which in many ways is the real GTI +.  Its got the same Jekyl and Hyde character as the GTI did but just more of it.

To return to your question its the same platform and engine as the mk5 so pretty much the same things.  Full service history including cambelt and haldex.  The only non service issue I had with mine in the 2 years I owned it was a sticking rear caliper which again is common with all mk5 platform cars.

audi-sport.net is a good resource for these.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 09:21:13 am »
Factor in you will need a new clutch if you map it as they are made of chocolate

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:32:51 am »
What's people's view on the mk6 R? Is this as 'soul less' and as 'boring' to drive as the s3?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:53:53 pm »
What's people's view on the mk6 R? Is this as 'soul less' and as 'boring' to drive as the s3?

It's got more soul, and much better looking. All that will cost you over the S3 though  :sad1:

Offline topdawg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:22:18 pm »

It's got more soul, and much better looking. All that will cost you over the S3 though  :sad1:

I would LOVE one  :grin: :driver:

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:02:06 am »

I went from a mk5 GTI to a mk6 R, owned it for 6 months.. found the lag a little frustrating, and overall it was a little soul-less compared to the GTI..

went back to a mk5, this time in 3.2 VR6 format... haven't looked back  :driver:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)