Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam chain renewel axx engine code  (Read 19547 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Cam chain renewel axx engine code
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:16 am »
I need to do this as my poor Gti sounds like a tractor!

This job scares the hell out of me though, not really having anywhere to DIY this other than roadside is another problem i have.

i've asked a couple garages for quotes now and they both told me that my car doesnt have a cam chain, it has a cam belt  :congrats: even with some more explaining i find it hard for them to understand what exactly i want.

i would love to be able to take it to the stealers, but i just afford that, does anyone in the southwest know of any good garages?

It scared me too because of all the reports of the cam adjuster bolt rounding out.  I can see why that happens though.  The polydrive bolt head only has a depth of about 4mm, which is no where near enough, so you really do need someone to push hard onto the torque wrench / breaker bar whilst you undo it, otherwise it will run off true and chew the bolt head out.

I tried a 3 foot breaker bar first but no joy, it just bent too much, giving me the fear.   I then tried my 3 foot torque wrench is waaaaay more rigid and it cracked right off.  At one point I thought the cam locking tool was going to strip out the threads in the head it takes that much force to undo  :confused:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:45:48 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JamieBiz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
  • Hiss, Pop, Gone...
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2016, 02:08:49 pm »
I need to do this as my poor Gti sounds like a tractor!

This job scares the hell out of me though, not really having anywhere to DIY this other than roadside is another problem i have.

i've asked a couple garages for quotes now and they both told me that my car doesnt have a cam chain, it has a cam belt  :congrats: even with some more explaining i find it hard for them to understand what exactly i want.

i would love to be able to take it to the stealers, but i just afford that, does anyone in the southwest know of any good garages?

It scared me too because of all the reports of the cam adjuster bolt rounding out.  I can see why that happens though.  The polydrive bolt head only has a depth of about 4mm, which is no where near enough, so you really do need someone to push hard onto the torque wrench / breaker bar whilst you undo it, otherwise it will run off true and chew the bolt head out.

I tried a 3 foot breaker bar first but no joy, it just bent too much, giving me the fear.   I then tried my 3 foot torque wrench is waaaaay more rigid and it cracked right off.  At one point I thought the cam locking tool was going to strip out the threads in the head it takes that much force to undo  :confused:

I think ill leave this to the professionals!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2016, 02:10:56 pm »
Wise, especially if it's a daily, like mine is.  I took a gamble, and it paid off  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2016, 02:27:03 pm »
Did anyone do a before and after check in VCDS measuring block 93?

I didn't do a before but I'm now seeing -2.0KW at idle.  Is that normal?  I've come from an R32 and the allowable range is -8.0KW to +8.0KW but I don't understand the cam advance behaviour of these engines as it's completely different!

The R32 has very low advance at idle and really ramps it up in the midrange to a max of +43 degrees.

The EA113 sits at +28 (max advance) at idle and reduces to 0 when you stab the throttle, but I think it can also retard to -28 as well.  Perhaps to control intake reversion from cam overlap?

Does anyone understand the cam behaviour of this engine?  Just curious!  It seems to be running fine post chain replacement but my picky mind is wondering..... what if I got it a tooth off?