Make a donation

Author Topic: Radiator fans not working.  (Read 5013 times)

Offline gazjackson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Radiator fans not working.
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:53:55 pm »
I'm looking for some advice on troubleshooting my radiator fan issue. I've had the air con regassed and it was no cooler.

I've a full version of vcds, air con compressor showing as working, but fans aren't spooling. I can move them by hand so aren't seized, but when I try to activate them with vcds, nothing. Just looking for some advice and direction on figuring out what's going on/what's broke. Thanks.
'55 plate golf GTI - Black

Getting there...

19" Gallardo reps, Tinted wing mirror reps, k&n panel filter, seat height 'GTI' inserts, 'open' fog light surrounds.

Too much still to do...

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Radiator fans not working.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:26:16 pm »
There was something on here last year similar to this if I can remember correctly the smaller fan relay was prone to fault and if that goes it shuts both down as a safety protocol. Repairing them requires a full new unit as it cannot be separated unfortunley

Its just a way of life.

Offline gazjackson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 11:24:29 am »
Thanks for the reply mate. I found out that the midi fuse (50amp) had gone on the fusebox..unfortunately, this was not the real issue. Changed the fuse...battery on, big fan came on and stayed on  :scared: and nothing from the small fan. Checked with VCDS, nothing obvious...but now I've much bigger problems. Got limp mode and cel on. Thing its fried my voltage reg on the alternator. Lovely amount of fault codes and a very poorly gti...fml.

Getting there...

19" Gallardo reps, Tinted wing mirror reps, k&n panel filter, seat height 'GTI' inserts, 'open' fog light surrounds.

Too much still to do...

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:21:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply mate. I found out that the midi fuse (50amp) had gone on the fusebox..unfortunately, this was not the real issue. Changed the fuse...battery on, big fan came on and stayed on  :scared: and nothing from the small fan. Checked with VCDS, nothing obvious...but now I've much bigger problems. Got limp mode and cel on. Thing its fried my voltage reg on the alternator. Lovely amount of fault codes and a very poorly gti...fml.

Sorry to here that mate sounds like a right pain, hopefully nothing too bad has happened to the engine or loom it's self, keep the thread posted with progress. I'm useless with electrics so I won't be any help

Its just a way of life.

Offline Disco stew

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 09:09:54 pm »
Check for bent pins in the plug or damaged wiring, mine had a bad connector which caused this!

Offline gazjackson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:02:33 pm »
Disco stew, as in it caused crazy faults? Or it made the fan act nuts?

I tried disconnecting the fan to see if that helped, just have me another fault haha

Getting there...

Too much still to do...