Make a donation

Author Topic: Lowered your ride or thinking about it?..  (Read 14190 times)

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
Lowered your ride or thinking about it?..
« on: May 22, 2015, 05:26:07 pm »
If you have a GTI and other variants and have it lowered on springs or coilovers or anythingt else that is on the market, feel free to have your input as the idea behind this is to help myself and anyone else that is currently looking to improve their cars handling or appearance or both..

Post a picture of your car (before and after if possible) lowered along with brand and specs of what suspension your car has.
Can you also state what they are supposed to lower your car by. i.e "H&R Supersport 35mm"

if you've chopped springs or taken out bump stops etc then please add that info in too. Can you please also state whether the car is Manual or DSG aswell as this can make a slight difference due to the weight difference.

Ideally it would be better to post side shots of your cars to give any on-lookers the best idea of how their cars could/would sit if they were to buy the same setup.

Thanks,
Carl.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:39:24 pm by CarlW »

Offline Edition30nick

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Lowered your ride or thinking about it?..
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:38:55 pm »

Ap coil overs wound all the way down front and rear and rear cups taken out!! Handling is totally transformed, ride is almost oem in terms of stiffness!!!! And not too expensive

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:20:13 pm »

Top 2 photos are 18's and bottom 2 are 19's.

Manual car. KW V1's. Probably 45mm drop on the front and all the way down with the adjusters removed on the back (not sure how many mm's). The ride is fantastic and people are surprised when the find out its on coilovers and can't believe how comfortable it is, I've done many long journeys with no issues. The handling is vastly improved and transforms the drive of the car, I recently had the car round Silverstone and it suprised me and a few passangers how well it handled. Havn't got any 'before' shots because I had these fitted almost as soon as I got the car.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 08:32:40 am »
Wheels are 18x8 45et with 225/40-18s.

This was when it had Eibach Sportline springs newly installed with the oem dampers;

This is H&R Super Sport springs and Bilstein B8 dampers with some miles on them;

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:34:22 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:13:45 am »

Ap coil overs wound all the way down front and rear and rear cups taken out!! Handling is totally transformed, ride is almost oem in terms of stiffness!!!! And not too expensive

Looks great. Need to get my edition low...

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 06:58:18 pm »
Standard suspension on my Manual 3 Door GTI

Same car on Eibach Pro Springs with standard dampers

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »
Standard shocks, H&R lowering springs, 19" alloys, DSG box.

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 04:43:19 pm »
For an alternate perspective, my Vorsprung Durch MK5 diesel manual :wink: AP coilovers, 18x8 BBS CK wheels, hit about 50 speedbumps a day  :scared: :ashamed: (no exaggerations unfortunately).

Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 06:11:15 pm »
Standard DSG GTI

On Bilstein B8's and Eibach Sportlines

Front

Rear

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 02:36:50 pm »
Some good posts there guys :happy2: Very tempted to get AP Coilovers as i love the way Edition30Nicks looks.

For now its between the H&R SuperSport springs or the AP Coilovers.

Anyone else that would like to post there pictures and specs would be great.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:38:43 pm by CarlW »

Offline Paulo P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 03:05:23 pm »
eibach sport line's lower the car slightly more than eibach pro's don't they? In the 2 photos above they don't look much different.

Offline GTI_Kyle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 04:08:41 pm »

how do these perform when pushed to the limit? thinking of getting a set, look good value for money

Stage 2 Graphite Blue DSG GTi - Too many mods to list...

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 05:34:17 am »
eibach sport line's lower the car slightly more than eibach pro's don't they? In the 2 photos above they don't look much different.
Yes, about 1/2" more.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 05:40:32 am »
Some good posts there guys :happy2: Very tempted to get AP Coilovers as i love the way Edition30Nicks looks.

Not sure where you are located, but I heard the supersport springs aren't available in the UK.  If their Sport Cup Kit is available...it has SS springs in it.

Offline D_Philli_82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 09:58:51 am »

Has to be the APs imo.. I'm on sportlines and it's just not quite low enough...the slight gap still annoys me..Although it's still an improvement to standard. At least coil overs give you the flexibility to sit it how you like it  :happy2:

MK5 1.9TDI 150Bhp